SoftTree SQL Assistant v12.1 (maintenance release) - What's New
March 21, 2022
- Support for Apache Cassandra and DataStax Enterprise databases, with full CQL/SQL intellisense, full graphical schema management. Most SQL Assistant tools and features available for relational SQL databases can be used with Cassandra too, including direct data migration to and from other databases.
- Support for Snowflake databases and warehouses, most SQL Assistant tools and features available for relational databases can be used with Snowflake, including advanced SQL Intellisense, schema compare, data export and import, and so on...
- Enhanced support for SQLite with new built-in native driver connections enabling use of regular expressions in SQL queries, table and index space usage stats, JSON data handling, attaching external data files as tables, supported by Visual Database Documenter, Schema Compare, and other SQL Assistant tools now enabled for SQLite.
- Personal workspace database, simply put this is the new productivity enhancement that can change how you work with your databases. With a couple of clicks you can now save data grids and results of queries to your personal workspace and then return to them later, query them like other tables, join/enrich with other data, and of course update their data too! We believe this new feature redefines the meaning of productive database development and analytical use. Easily much and mix data from different database, catalog and save query results and more, its your personal database that you can share with others too.
- Many enhancements in the SQL History. The entire feature has been completely redesigned and now supports storing history for long time, not limited to the current session time; It now supports fuzzy searches and code filtering, enables reusing historical SQL statements across databases, provides more efficient UI with important details shown at the top of the queries and not important details compressed or hidden by default.
- New and enhanced functions for working with CSV files. You can use the new Data File Query utility to query and update data in CSV files as if they were tables in a relational database using full power of SQL language, regular expressions, transactions, and so on...
- The new Data File Transformation utility further extends advanced support for CSV files, enabling you to add, remove, modify, and rearrange columns, remove duplicate data, pivot columns and rows, filter using regular expressions, and make other transformational file changes, all that without needing a desktop spreadsheet program.
- Many small and not so small SQL Intellisense enhancements including but not limited to advanced intellisense for index specific DDL operations, triggers, smarter Intellisense for schema context, suggestions for arguments for built-in database functions, improved JOINs suggestions display differentiating referenced and referencing tables, and more.
- Improvements in Database Messages pane including new searching and filtering capabilities, integration with SQL History, and so on...
- Significant changes in how SQL Assistant's Reports handle their queries. You can now use SQL scripts with multiple statements to retrieve the report data.
- Now supporting data exports to Parquet files.
- All supported databases - the Update Statistics utility is now run in the background, you can continue working while it's updating table statistics in the database.
- PostgreSQL - Graphical dashboard and session monitors for PostgreSQL now show progress of work of long operations (PostgreSQL 11.x and later).
- PostgreSQL - enhanced handling of partitioned tables, including but not limited to better SQL Intellisense, scripting DDL for the common table and all its partitions in one atomic operation.
- PostgreSQL - Top Functions graphical monitor.
- SQLite - Table and index space usage statistics.
- Oracle - Graphical partition and subpartition manager.
- Updated add-ons for Visual Studio 17 and previous versions which now enable using SQL Assistant immediately after the installation and don't require installing additional database specific extensions, like Visual Studio Database Tools or T-SQL Query Editor.
- SQL Assistant's SQL Editor now preserves BOM in Unicode script files saved with BOM, as well as it can add BOM if such file encoding is selected.
- SQL Assistant can better support automatic Windows updates and can automatically recover its environment after updates and restarts.
- A number of other minor improvements.
We believe the new personal workspace database feature introduced in 12.1 delivers great productivity boost. This feature supports super simple methods for saving the data you work with, and quickly retrieving it later without needing to rerun long running queries again; and then comparing historical results saved over a period of time. It also enables advanced data analysis and data enrichment, across data sources data aggregations, and so on. As a teaser, imagine clicking a data grid populated with results of a long running query, selecting "Save to Workspace", and then using SQL queries or other built-in tools to join saved grid results with data from another database, another data grid, or with data from an external CSV file.
New database systems and interfaces
New major features and significant enhancements
Database management enhancements
SoftTree SQL Assistant v12.0 (major release) - What's New
November 2, 2021
- Now supporting MongoDB with MongoDB Connector for BI.
- Full featured reporting with integrated report designer, templates and wizards, and numerous predefined administrative reports.
- New ETL Orchestrator for automating ETL and ELT tasks, and other repetitive database processes.
- Completely reworked Load Generator, upgraded to Database Benchmarking with ready-to-run templates for simulating real life applications and for application and database performance benchmarking.
- New multifunctional task-oriented SQL Profiler for PostgreSQL.
- New multifunctional task-oriented SQL Profiler for Oracle.
- Data import and export from/to Parquet files.
- New Oracle Table and Index Defragger.
- New plugins for Eclipse 4.x platform, and for DBeaver 20.x.
- New Oracle Tablespace Manager with graphical space allocation maps.
- New universal Go To menu for quickly jumping to specific lines, bookmarks, regions, etc...
- Greatly improved intellisense for DDL commands including in place suggestions for specific objects and options, graphically selected changes, and more.
- Support for high resolution monitors with high DPI.
- Bootstrap queries for new database connections.
- Many enhancements in the source code control interfaces, supporting now all recognized object types, code branching, ignore lists and filtering for insignificant and unwanted objects, new and improved advanced wizard for source control project and repository setup, and so on...
- Source code control for TFS now supports non-English based environments. Source code control for Perforce now supports different file encodings.
- Code Structure View is enhanced with code regions.
- New SQLite databases can be now created directly from the Connection dialog.
- Unit testing framework now supports all SQL Assistant recognizable object types.
- Unit testing framework can now save unit test execution results in an unified XML format supporting multiple result sets and types of unit test outputs; enabling reading results from upstream test cases and feeding them to downstream test cases.
- Unit testing framework now supports advanced validation of test case results using multiple new methods including custom SQL queries, Visual Basic scripting, Pascal scripting, etc...
- Schema Compare and visual schema management tools for SQL Server and Azure now support XML indexes and Spatial indexes.
- Asynchronous execution of Data Transfer and XML Import/Export tasks.
- Enhanced data scripting functions with support for multi-row inserts and several other new options.
- Enhancements for interactive code snippets, the $OBJECT$ code automation macro now supports many new types of schema objects.
- Improved integration with MS Access providing full featured popup SQL editor with code highlighting, SQL Intellisense, DB Explorer, Code Structure, and all other functions supported by SQL Assistant.
- Improved integration with Visual Studio 2017 and 2019, now supporting scripts opened from the Server Explorer.
- Compatibility changes with latest database versions.
- Tons of other minor and not so minor improvements, too many to fit here.
New database systems
New major features
Changes in Other Versions
See What's New 11.x page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant version 11.x releases.
See What's New 10.x page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant version 10.x releases.
See What's New 9.x page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant version 9.x releases.
See What's New 7.x page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant version 7.x releases.
See What's New 6.x page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant version 6.x releases.
See What's New 5.x page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant version 5.x releases.
See What's New page for details on new features added in SQL Assistant versions 2.x - 4.x.