SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Sql Assistant greyed out in Notepad++

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Sql Assistant greyed out in Notepad++
SqlExplorer

Post Sql Assistant greyed out in Notepad++ Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm using your native editor, but had opened up Notepad++ for another reason, with a sql file. I noticed that Sql Asisstant is greyed out on the upper right, and that the context menu doesn't have Sql Assistant.

This is in contrast to Notepad, in which the full Sql Assistant context menu is available.
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Did you open file with .sql extension in Notepad++?
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
No. I didn't realize there was any prep work, outside of the Sql Assistant setup.

Is that a plugin?

I'll look into it, thanks.

SysOp wrote:
Did you open file with .sql extension in Notepad++?

Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's not always active by design. Since Notepadd++ is an universal editor for all kinds of text files, SQL Assistant is active only if you edit files with .sql or .ddl extensions. And yes, to work properly it requires installation of SQL Assistant plugin for Notepad++.
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
Yep, It involves a.sql file, same as notepad and your native sql editor.

I did a search yesterday for 'notepad++ sql extension', but only found the Sqlinform plugin, which I already have.

Ok, thanks. I'll try looking for the sql assistant plugin, after I start the work day.

SysOp wrote:
It's not always active by design. Since Notepadd++ is an universal editor for all kinds of text files, SQL Assistant is active only if you edit files with .sql or .ddl extensions. And yes, to work properly it requires installation of SQL Assistant plugin for Notepad++.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:12 am View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
EDIT: Got it. The solution was to install 32-bit Notepad++, after uninstalling the 64-bit version. Everything is good, thanks.

Ok, so I just upgraded to 12. I had already upgraded the license, but never installed it here.

During the install, I confirmed that the Notepad++ plugin was included.

But when running Notepad++, it's the same thing - a 'Sql Assistant' label displays in the upper right, but the features themselves are inaccessible. And when I right-click, or search through any of the menus, Sql Assistant doesn't seem to be available.

Yes, it's a sql file.

Yes, all the features are available in Notepad or in the native Sql editor.

Is it possible that this is a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue? The Notepad++ that I have installed, is 64-bit. I'm going to uninstall it, and install the 32-bit Notepad++, and see what happens.

Is there anything else I should look for?

It's almost silly to even worry about this, because I don't use Notepad++ a great deal. However, the plugin is a selling point for the tool, when another developer is looking at my screen.
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Could you please share a screenshot with some context?
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
Sure, if it's necessary, when I get back in the office. But I've already resolved this, as noted in the "Edit:" comment above. I reinstalled Notepad++ as 32-bit. After that, the Sql Assistant menu is available.

Unfortunately, there's still another glitch. When I try to connect (Oracle), it says that the oci.dll doesn't exist. It connects fine with your Sql editor or Notepad, but Notepad++ complains that the dll doesn't exist even though I can point directly to it.

I'll forward some screen prints, after getting back into the office.

SysOp wrote:
Could you please share a screenshot with some context?

Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
Since the original problem - that there was no Sql Assistant menu in Notepad++ - seems to have been resolved, I'll open a new thread regarding the allegedly missing oci.dll in Notepad++
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:13 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: