SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How do we disable auto-refresh?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
How do we disable auto-refresh?
SqlExplorer

Post How do we disable auto-refresh? Reply with quote
Hi,

In the Editor, I'd like to disable the feature that randomly refreshes a table or database.

Most of my sql sets the schema at the top, and I run the sql statements individually. But in the middle of either editing or doing something else entirely, the editor starts expanding the schema for a table that's referenced in the sql.

I would rather expand or refresh manually. What setting do we use for that?
Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's not random. Do you see that happening when you execute DDL statements in the editor, like CREATE or DROP something?
Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Just in case, there is an option in Options -> DB Options -> [db type here] -> Automatic Cache Refresh, which controls sensing of CREATE and DROP commands and automatic refreshes.
Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
I checked, Automatic Cache refresh is set to off.

It happens when I'm merely inside the Sql Editor, whether I'm editing some sql or just viewing it.

If I just execute sql and then exit the editor quickly enough, most of the time it doesn't happen at all. But if I'm in the editor long enough - whether or not I run anything - it will eventually try to refresh a schema.

Is it because the Database Explorer is open? Should I try to UnView the explorer when I'm just executing sql that doesn't require editing?
Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Something is triggering it. The database explorer does have an automatic refresh. But there is a manual refresh Ctrl+Shift+F8. Are you using that or perhaps customized the default key and accidentally replaced with something else more common?
Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
Maybe. I'll take a look tomorrow, thanks.

SysOp wrote:
Something is triggering it. The database explorer does have an automatic refresh. But there is a manual refresh Ctrl+Shift+F8. Are you using that or perhaps customized the default key and accidentally replaced with something else more common?

Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
No go on the reassigned hot key test.

This has been happening for a long time, so it's not important to resolve it right away.

Can I install Beta 13 simultaneously with 12? Will 13 inherit 12's settings? I'll see if 13 has the problem.

Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Installing 13 beta won't delete your existing settings, it will only rename files to have .old and .bak extensions. And yes, it will try to merge them with the new files.

You may want to create a backup of the existing folder with settings for 12, this one C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\SQL Assistant\12.4 folder before the installation, so you can later restore it if needed. But please don't restore them while running 13.
Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
Will do, thanks Sysop.

SysOp wrote:
Installing 13 beta won't delete your existing settings, it will only rename files to have .old and .bak extensions. And yes, it will try to merge them with the new files.

You may want to create a backup of the existing folder with settings for 12, this one C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\SQL Assistant\12.4 folder before the installation, so you can later restore it if needed. But please don't restore them while running 13.

Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Could this be the syntax checker? It kicks off after a set interval (I think the default is 3 seconds)? Just a thought.
Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:49 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The background syntax checker is responsible for 3 things: checking for syntax errors, checking for query performance issues, and somewhat involved in refreshing the marks for TO-DO and bookmarks. It's unlikely to trigger anything else, certainly not directly.
Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:03 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: