SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[ES] - moving test cases between (unit) tests

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[ES] - moving test cases between (unit) tests
gemisigo

Post [ES] - moving test cases between (unit) tests Reply with quote
The Unit Testing feature has so much unexploited potential. By being able to retrieve test results from the log table it could easily help in component testing by adding multiple dependent/independent test cases and checking their combined results.

Adding stored procedures for testing is a piece of cake. On the other hand, moving them around is a pain in the back. Drag-n-drop does not work, you have to use the arrow buttons and that's really is slow, or Ctrl+Up/Down arrow keys, which are marginally faster, both dragging behind d-n-d in both speed and efficiency. Also, each of the stored procedures ends up in their respective Unit Test, which is great for unit testing but rubbish for everything else. For regression testing, it would be great if those test cases that were successfully passed could be moved under a single "unit" (the regression test). But if you want to move the cases between the units, there's no way to do that in the GUI, you have to tinker with the XML of the unit test project (which is easily broken, of course, but git to the rescue).
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I read your message twice and I think I understand the idea of a separate bucket for regression testing, basically retesting only what previously failed. Where would it push then failed test cases to? The state of previous run is saved but not reloaded on startup. I believe the main design objective for that utility was/is to be used in the continuous integration testing and have unit test projects run on schedule or get triggered by database changes with the results either emailed to project owners in case something fails, or post-run evaluated by an external script run from Jenkins or something similar setting the job status in some dashboard accordingly so everyone can see if it failed, and in the history how often it fails.
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:53 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Ugh, I'm notorious for overcomplicating the way I say things. All I wanted to say is that with some imagination the Unit Testing feature is capable way more than it says on the tin and that adding drag-n-drop + the ability to move the cases between the units would make doing that way-more part much more effortless.
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:04 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. An enhancement is now in the queue to add drag-and-drop to unit testing UI.
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:20 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: