SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[12.0.167 BETA] - Assistance with auto-complete

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[12.0.167 BETA] - Assistance with auto-complete
adrianh

Post [12.0.167 BETA] - Assistance with auto-complete Reply with quote
Issue 1:

Hi guys, not sure if this is configurable but I am not finding it super useful to use the [enter] key to auto-complete with the intellisense functionality in SSMS. As in many other IDE's like powershell, command prompt and even the built in SSMS intellisense the [tab] key will complete the word if it is selected.

Example:

1. Open new query window
2. Start typing USE Mas .... then hit the [tab] button to complete. Nothing happens, but when you use [enter] it will complete to USE Master

Issue 2:

I also started looking in settings to find where I can set this.

In my attempt to get to "Autocomplete" settings I opened SQL Assistant > Options > Targets

At the bottom of the screen there is a "Search Options" box. This is where I started typing in "Autocomplete" but made a spelling mistake in the process and wanetd to back-space to correct it. It did not work.
Thinking it might be my keyboard I testing it in notepad and other applications, my backspace still worked. Not sure if this is a known bug?
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:55 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
This is possibly something wrong with your keyboard/setup, backspacing the contents of the Search options works for me.

Also, what you were looking for is not in Auto complete (for some reason this is not a single word and the search couldn't find it), but in Targets / Registered Target / Whatever-you-use / Options / List Item Selection Key . You can set it to Enter, Tab, or both. You can also use the Right/Left Arrow keys to expand/collapse the trees in the popups and to add some items without closing the popup.

Here, I hope this helps:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:29 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I would recommend sticking with the default Enter key, or choosing the option for both Enter and Tab. There are some additional features like Shift+Enter that produce different effects depending on what you want to complete or paste into the code, for example when completing selections in SELECT and other DML statements, it may paste just the name selected, or it may paste with an alias, or paste the entire full statement with all the columns, etc... It may not matter for USE and other very simple things but it does matter for DML commands and other scenarios.

IMHO, tab is a non-standard key, not the other way around. All operation systems and practically all applications use Enter, except a few Microsoft products. Microsoft has acknowledged that issue too, Visual Studio Code and their other latest development tools do recognize Enter key as a selection key.
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:12 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I would recommend sticking with the default Enter key, or choosing the option for both Enter and Tab. There are some additional features like Shift+Enter that produce different effects depending on what you want to complete or paste into the code, for example when completing selections in SELECT and other DML statements, it may paste just the name selected, or it may paste with an alias, or paste the entire full statement with all the columns, etc... It may not matter for USE and other very simple things but it does matter for DML commands and other scenarios.

IMHO, tab is a non-standard key, not the other way around. All operation systems and practically all applications use Enter, except a few Microsoft products. Microsoft has acknowledged that issue too, Visual Studio Code and their other latest development tools do recognize Enter key as a selection key.

I am in the "NEED TAB" category here like the OP. Bash completion, powershell, other IDEs all use tab to fill out partial words. I've been using Tab+Enter as my option in S.A since I started using it.
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:51 am View user's profile Send private message
adrianh

Post Reply with quote
Appreciate the feedback, this is very useful.

Still have the issue with searching in options though, not that is is a MAJOR thing but trying to add value out of the BETA-testing.

PS: I am trying to insert an image to illustrate my issue but must be doing something wrong since the "Add image to post" functionality or alt-p only inserted a "url" of my image that is saved on my computer ...

Thanks
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:37 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
When you click Post, in the post that URL will appear as an image, small by default, but if a large view is neddef, it can be clicked and it will open full size in a new browser tab. explanded. So please go ahead and post it.
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: