SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[FR: 12 Beta] - Re-order Missing Index columns in Perf Dash

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[FR: 12 Beta] - Re-order Missing Index columns in Perf Dash
Mindflux

Post [FR: 12 Beta] - Re-order Missing Index columns in Perf Dash Reply with quote
If you select * from sys.dm_db_missing_index_details, you'll get equality_columns, inequality_columns, included_columns in that order.

In the Perf Dashboard they're re-ordered Inequality, Included, Equality. To me, it feels like the order given by the sys.dm query would be preferred viewing as you're likely to include equality columns first, right?

Or at least give us a way to re-arrange them the way we want and save that order.. it doesn't seem I can do that as of now.
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. You're correct it's not possible currently to rearrange columns on the Missing Indexes tab in the Perf.Monitor and save them.

Just in case, if you use that report frequently, in v12 you can create new report with the columns you need and the order you prefer. And if it's saved to the right location, it will magically appear in context menus and can be run with two clicks. Creating such report is very easy, in the simplest case, it's like

Right-click in DB Explorer, in the right-click menu select Reports -> New Report...
click Next
Enter name Missing Indexes and paste select * from sys.dm_db_missing_index_details
click Next
select Table template
in the Page Options section choose Fit Data
click Generate
If you don't like what you see, change it as needed
Click Save and save it to %APPDATA%\SQL Assistant\Reports\SQL Server\Missing Indexes.sarpt

Now you have this "Missing Indexes" in the Reports sub-menu
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Thanks. I'll look at the report, but ideally I'd just like the Missing Indexes part of the perf dash just re-order the columns so they match the sys.dm_db_missing_index_details view more closely, prioritizing the equality columns over inequality and included.
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:45 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Noted. Thank you.
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
Thanks. I'll look at the report, but ideally I'd just like the Missing Indexes part of the perf dash just re-order the columns so they match the sys.dm_db_missing_index_details view more closely, prioritizing the equality columns over inequality and included.

+1, if that counts.

The report is great, but it is, after all, "just" a report. The dashboard is a much more capable tool when it comes to analyzing/solving the problem.
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I can confirm the change in column ordering on Missing Indexes tab is going to make to 12.0 release.
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: