SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[12.0.167 BETA] - Restoring default hotkeys

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[12.0.167 BETA] - Restoring default hotkeys
gemisigo

Post [12.0.167 BETA] - Restoring default hotkeys Reply with quote
There's a minor glitch with hotkeys. Either how they are named or how setting them works. There's a setting Options / Common / Default Hot Keys. For each target that has not overridden the default hotkey, the ones defined here will be used. Hence, if I have Show SQL Assistance reassigned to Ctrl+T in place of the factory default Ctrl+F1 (because I have Ctrl+F1 reassigned to Show SQL Reference), each target uses Ctrl+T, for Show SQL Assistance. Well, at least they do until they reassign it to something else.

Now, if the target-specific hotkey is reassigned, it no longer shows e.g.:
Code:
(Default: Ctrl+T)
, it shows
Code:
Ctrl+F2
, for example.

Pressing Backspace does not restore the default, it only removes that hotkey, thus disables that feature. I tinkered with those settings and figured out (though I'm certain this is mentioned somewhere in the User Guide) that hitting Escape does restore the default hotkey. However, it does not restore the user-set common hotkey (which is currently called the Default), it restores the factory default instead. Check this short video here.
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:23 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That's new to me too. I didn't know about the Esc behavior, and not seeing that documented. I think the expectation is that Backspace just erases the hot key, it doesn't revert the changes to the original factory defaults. Factory defaults can be restored using Import\Export and then Load Defaults Options, but even that has its limits. It doesn't override everything trying to keep certain things in place as not to loose them. The expectation is if a user knows what he wants as hotkey, he can press that and override the current settings.
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:50 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, but in this case, the user does not want to override the current setting, they want to restore the default. Simply pressing the same hotkey as the default is just that, overriding it with the same hotkey. It will not restore it to the default, which is good if you want this to stay the overridden hotkey even if you change the default. But if you want it to "follow" the default, and change the actual default in the future, the overridden hotkey will not follow, it will stay the same. Using Backspace is also good for disabling that feature. That's why I found it good to use Escape to restore the default. Except, that it restores to the "old" default, not to the current one.
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: