SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How to expand and display all the columns for 'select *'

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
How to expand and display all the columns for 'select *'
THenrich

Post How to expand and display all the columns for 'select *' Reply with quote
If I type: select * from a table. How do I expand the * and get instead all of the table's columns in a key stroke?
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:01 am View user's profile Send private message
THenrich

Post How to go to an object in the object explorer? Reply with quote
If I have the cursor on a table or view or a stored procedure in the editor, how do I jump to the object in Object Explorer?
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:23 am View user's profile Send private message
stephh

Post Re: How to expand and display all the columns for 'select *' Reply with quote
THenrich wrote:
If I type: select * from a table. How do I expand the * and get instead all of the table's columns in a key stroke?

Hello,

You can type "select table<tab>" , without "* from" , and SQL Assistant will write all columns.
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Try also Ctrl+click on the object name, use hyperlinks at the top of the popup, for example, click the object name
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Or you could move your cursor to the asterisk and then hit the hotkey for SQL Assistance as shown in this short video here (note that I have that hotkey reassigned to Ctrl+T, I no longer remember, what the default was).

Alas, the check all has no dedicated hotkey, you'll have to use your mouse for that. Unfortunately, while the Apps key does pop the context menu, that menu is for the code editor, and not for the popup, so if you want to do this purely on the keyboard, you're out of luck here.
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I believe the default method is just to click right after the asterisk. A hint will appear next to it with the text "Click here or press Ctrl+Space to choose columns for the query" Click it. A popup window with the column names and check-boxes in front of them will appear. You can then select individual columns using check-boxes, click what you need, or you can use navigation keys and Space bar if you are keyboard person. Or you can right click the popup window and from its context menu select Check All. For the same with keyboard, hit the Context menu key
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:54 am View user's profile Send private message
THenrich

Post Reply with quote
I really don't like the methods mentioned. I want to avoid using the mouse. Using the keyboard is much faster than clicking several times. I am typing the SQL and want to use the keyboard. Reaching for the mouse and clicking will slow me down.

select table <tab> means I have to type the table/view name including the schema name. This defeats the purpose of using a tool like SQL Assistant. Plus I tried it and it didn't work.

There are two other products where when I tab after the '*' it expands all the columns. Efficient and quick. SQL Assistant really needs to implement the same feature.
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You don't have to type full table name. Just start typing, and then Enter. The default item selection key is Enter not tab. Enter is used by default, it can be customized. If you are used to something else
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
THenrich

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
You don't have to type full table name. Just start typing, and then Enter. The default item selection key is Enter not tab. Enter is used by default, it can be customized. If you are used to something else

It's working. Thanks.
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to turn an existing SELECTED * FROM to having all the columns showing all the columns. For that purpose, writing SELECT * FROM table_name and then trying to expand, like other products are using is not efficient, it is slow, the method SysOp described is much faster. But it would still be nice to have hotkeys for selecting all or none of the columns. The Context menu key does not work, it opens the context menu for the editor, not for the popup the editor shows after hitting the Ctrl+Space. Even if it would, having to press multiple keys instead of a single one would be inferior.
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:13 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: