SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SA10 - installation path

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SA10 - installation path
michalk

Post SA10 - installation path Reply with quote
I have SA installed in another location than default one (another partition)
When installing SA10 by using update option available in systray, installer runs in non-interactive mode, ignoring originally chosen location, therefore installing the app into program files (without asking for it)

IMO it's unwanted behavior. If new major version has to be installed in completely new location, it should ask for that.
Or, since SA10 installation program uninstalls previous SA version, maybe it could install into previously selected location as well.

Something similar has been already solved in the past but it was valid for minor version updates: http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24419

with regards
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:27 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi. Sorry for the inconvenience. Here is a reason for that behavior. For new major versions the installation path is independent from the previous versions, there is always a numeric version specific suffix in the path, it doesn't install itself into the same folder. Also the file structure of version 10 is very different from the previous. I don't recommend selecting the previous location without fully uninstalling the previous version manually. In the described scenario I suggest uninstalling what's been installed and performing full installation in the required location ona different volume. Please don't worry about your custom settings and connections. they will not be uninstalled. Normally they should be automatically picked up by the install and migrated to the new versions. But if that doesn't happen, you can always import them back from the saved backup files.
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer.
Yes, I managed installation. I made use of installer in manual way, having chance to choose the install location.*)

What I'm trying to point in OP is, that update to v10 process, silently always does choose program files directory. This is something which should not happen IMO.
In such case, depending on design choice, it should ask for the a location or force full manual setup.

BTW v10 installation program uninstalls previous version completely (including directory structure mentioned by you). Installing v10 into previous location wouldn't collide with anything. However I can understand the choice to not do that (ie because of version number being a part of program directory)

*) after cancel installation, downloaded msi package wasn't removed from tmp directory. I would treat it as a minor issue too.
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. The main reason for uninstalling the old versions is not to remove *all* files or change the location, but to execute the uninstallers from the previous versions which remove all kinds of plugin/add-on related files and registry settings specific to that version. Not removing them creates conflicts between the old and new add-ons and can cripple the new installation.
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:24 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: