SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Q: Enable automatic refresh after DDL operations

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Q: Enable automatic refresh after DDL operations
gemisigo

Post Q: Enable automatic refresh after DDL operations Reply with quote
Does enabling this checkbox invalidate the entire set of cached data about database objects after running a DDL statement? Or does it only affect objects involved in the DDL?
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:22 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Where is this option buried? I looked briefly and couldn't even find it.

Is this option related to when you create/update/delete triggers/procedures/whatever that may take a moment for SQL Assistant to snap back to life? I seem to remember having a discussion regarding this in the past because I was working on a stored procedure that seemingly kept reverting itself because SQL Editor/SQL Assistant wasn't updating the DDL when I'd go to re-edit the object without a manual refresh.
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's in the top-right corner of DB explorer, next to the Refresh icon. It stops automatic case refresh in the current session until the box is checked again.
Here is a typical use case. You work on updating a view or stored procedure code. You keep updating it and compiling (executing ALTER PROC/VIEW/whatever command), then naturally you want to test the updated version right away executing the procedure , and you don't want to waste time on waiting for SQL Assistant to reload it caches.
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, that's the one. It comes in extremely handy when I know I'm going to apply multiple changes to a certain object in rapid succession just to see how it plays and I don't have to turn of DDL refresh for the target database type in SQL Assist, which is more complicated and affects other tabs as well. But does it reload the entire cache or does it only load/refresh the new/updated object? It seems to me it does the former, since it takes seconds for SE to become responsive again. It also puts considerable load ( > 90%) on the cpu during that time.
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm not certain how it works. From my observations it seems like doing a full refresh of the current database.
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: