SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.166 Pro] - TD Preview and Editing

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.166 Pro] - TD Preview and Editing
gemisigo

Post [SA 9.0.166 Pro] - TD Preview and Editing Reply with quote
Pressing F2 on a single table result set grid in SE will switch to edit mode. In this excel-like grid I'd expect Tab to move selection to the next column by pure instinct. But it doesn't. Is this by design?

EDIT: Another issue. I cannot enter a properly formatted datetime into a smalldatetime column. I get an error message stating:
Quote:
Invalid argument to date encode

The funny thing is that it was copy-pasted from another column, and the column before this renegate one accepted it without any complaints.

EDIT2: I get Range check errors when trying to enter a single digit number into a tinyint column.

EDIT3: Trying to Save Changes as Script... will create INSERT INTO statements with empty VALUE parts.
Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:47 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
In this excel-like grid I'd expect Tab to move selection to the next column by pure instinct. But it doesn't. Is this by design?

I don't think it implements Tab based navigation yet. Perhaps it's a missing feature. I don't know if it's was to add. As of 9.0.166 I have to click each cell I want to Edit.

There is a known limitation for editing date time values. I think they have to be entered in a very specific format yyyy-mm-dd
I saw a ticket somewhere in the system for implementing custom date-time edit control supporting multiple international formats , which was scheduled for 9.1 maintenance release.

Last edited by SysOp on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
In this excel-like grid I'd expect Tab to move selection to the next column by pure instinct. But it doesn't. Is this by design?

I don't think it implements Tab based navigation yet. Perhaps it's a missing feature. I don't know if it's was to add. As of 9.0.166 I have to click each cell I want to Edit.

You don't have to click the cell, moving focus with arrow keys and using F2 or simply begin typing to edit works. As for the missing feature, it might be, I haven't read anything about it in the help. It's just the interface is a grid that more or less behaves as an excel spreadsheet and it would feel natural if navigation would work the same way (arrow keys, tab for the next column in the selection, enter for the next row, etc.).

SysOp wrote:

There is a known limitation for editing date time values. I think they have to be entered in a very specific format yyyy-mm-dd
I saw a ticket somewhere in the system for implementing custom date-time edit control supporting multiple international formats , which was scheduled for 9.1 maintenance release.

A specific format would be fine. The strange thing was that there were three columns involved. The first one was a smalldatetime type column in a result grid from a table with some other columns. The contents of that column were put onto clipboard. Then another table was queried, with two smalldatetime type columns among other ones, one of them being a tinyint. Now when editing that table, I was able to paste the value on the clipboard to the first smalldatetime column but it was rejected when trying to paste it into second one. It also refused to accept any formats I tried to enter the value manually (including yyyy-mm-dd, which is my default when not using yyyymmdd). It was the same table that complained for Range check when I typed 7 into a tinyint column.
Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Supporting other formats will be great. Meanwhile, could you check why having two datetime columns makes impossible to add/modify rows, please? The first one can be entered (whatever valid datetime value will do) but the second one refuses every format I tried. Pressing F2 on it will enter into edit mode and insert 00:00:00 into that column, which cannot be modified to anything else, because it throws the mentioned Invalid argument to date encode error. It can be accepted, however, which in turn will result in type mismatch error. Also, SA itself complains about that when trying to save the changes. It says:
Quote:

Row 168. Bind column validity_end failed. Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Having a datetime column also causes range check errors for subsequent int columns.
Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That sounds like a bug. I will submit a new bug report shortly. Thank you very much for letting us know.
Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: