SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.176 Pro] - Name Matching Method (Best Match?)

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.176 Pro] - Name Matching Method (Best Match?)
Mindflux

Post [SA 9.0.176 Pro] - Name Matching Method (Best Match?) Reply with quote
I have a question of what "Best match" is for "Name Contains Characters from Key String, by Best match"

If I type "ars" to try and select a table called "AnalRunSeq", other tables that are "better matches" come up before the table I'm looking for:

such as:
MiscCharges
Matrices
Standards
AnalRunSeq

How are any of those better matches than "AnalRunSeq"? Which isn't only higher on an alphabetical list (though we're not sorting alphabetically here).. but also the name STARTS with a match right off the bat. How does "best match" determine what's best? Is it in regards to how far apart the letters are from eachother ?
Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
OK per this post:

http://softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=31168#31168

Says:

Quote:
Best match rules for "characters from key string" use different grouping method, they evaluate the proximity of characters to each other, and also to the beginning of the name. Word breaks are not considered in this case.

So it does sound like character proximity is the cause for my concern, but then you also mention relation to beginning of the name. So should AnalRunSeq still not be above Matrices, Standards etc because part of the match is at the front of the table name (and in my case, the very first character?)

It seems like gemisigo and I are on the same page:

http://softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=31169#31169

Quote:

But I'm not quite sure I understand the grouping method for #4. If you take a glance at the second screenshot, you can see, that for all the items in the result set the characters, namely j, a, r, a, and t, are all tightly packed next to each other, so that should put them all in the same group regarding the proximity as criterion. I'd guess if the proximity to the beginning of the name also plays role, the table that bears the name jarat, and therefore has the strongest cohesion of the characters from Key string, being the shortest one, having all the character as close to each other as possible, and being closest to the beginning of the name at the same time, should be qualified the winner, and be the first one in the list. But it isn't.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Maybe this will help?

http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24420&highlight=match
Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Maybe this will help?

http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24420&highlight=match

Yeah, see my post above (where I found that)...

I still think there's the "pending update" that might fix it, though for gemisigo it seems his is fixed..
Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
It seems that the being close to each other rule is stronger than the being close to the beginning rule.

Matches:

MiscCharges (2)
Matrices (4)
Standards (4)

have 4 or less interrupting letters (see underlined characters)
while

AnalRunSeq

has 5.

I guess switching the order of those two rules could fix it for Mindflux. Perhaps the rule precedence could be made user-configurable. But that would be an excessively power-user feature. Could cause confusion.
Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: