SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
24x7 Scheduler manual

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
24x7 Scheduler manual
pksengupta

Post 24x7 Scheduler manual Reply with quote
I must admit that I have found this quite baffling and unsatisfactory. I am a new user.
I would be grateful to read a chapter that sort of handholds me with some examples of simple jobs.
I mean does one really need Chapter 1 to contain a fairly baffling paragraph on 'semaphore files' and other such equally misplaced information.

I was excited to read the term 'template' thinking it would be one way to start. But, I ask a sympathiser to read "Using Job Templates" and see if it helps a beginner.

So, can some friendly readers give something to help a beginner???
Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Well certain terms like 'template' are kind of common, so it's expected that people kind of know what to expect from templates and how to use them.

Anyway, please don't hesitate to ask any questions here in this support forum, that's what it's for. We will be happy to help you with automating your tasks.
Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
pksengupta

Post Reply with quote
Thank you - kindly ignore my comment on 'template' - I was trying to explain that the manual had poorly written matter on templates - not the meaning of the word.

To return to my main request

1. is there any document written for a beginner with some examples of how to schedule simple jobs?

2. If I only wish to use 24x7 Scheduler on one Windows PC - what is the version of the product that I should consider licensing?
Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please see page 37 in the User's Guide http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/24x7jmanual.pdf

Here is an except

To schedule a new job
1. In the system tree select the folder in which you want to create a new job.
2. Select the File menu then select the New command, and then choose the Job command (shortcut
CTRL+N). Alternatively you can click the New Job toolbar button
3. Follow the instructions provided by the Job Wizard.
4. You must save changes in order to permanently apply them to the job database file.

then click the "Job Wizard" link in that topic to read about graphical Job Properties Wizard. Note that a nearly identical wizard is available in the web client interface, with the same pages and controls and job properties.

The rest should be more or less straight-forward "3. Follow the instructions provided by the Job Wizard." I suggest you start with something simple like scheduling and a DOS command or Notepad and using all default properties, then start changing properties one at a time testing the impact. It may take a little while to learn all available features. The solution is very rich on features and very flexible. Many important features require a bit of scripting using built-in scripting engines. Scripting is what provides the true power for automating various things. The sky is the limit there. Templates are available for common tasks but they are more like jump-starters to help you get going faster. There are typically multiple methods available for accomplishing various tasks.

The latest version is 5.0.382. Please use this one.
Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 am View user's profile Send private message
pksengupta

Post Reply with quote
Thank you - I will certainly follow your guidelines
Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: