SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 6 Beta] - Refactoring - Qualifying object names

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 6 Beta] - Refactoring - Qualifying object names
gemisigo

Post [SA 6 Beta] - Refactoring - Qualifying object names Reply with quote
There is something fishy going on when refactoring to qualify object names. I tried it with a quite complex query with multiple joins including subqueries. Refactoring only suggested to add schemas names to the subqueries and even those suggestions were incorrect.
Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:15 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
To be honest with you, in all versions the Qualify Object Names function is not fool proof. It isn't always able to figure out full object names and accurately qualify them. In essence, the Qualify Object Names function attempts to parses the code in off-line mode, not relying much on current connection trying to figure out without database context what is what in the code. Since SQL isn't a strongly typed language, object names can be ambiguous and db context dependent, isn't always possible to figure full object path and name. Multi-database type support adds another dimension to an already complex processing. So the he function touches only the names it recognizes.

Having said that, we are trying to improve the accuracy of that function in every SQL Assistant version. For example, in version 6 it should be able to recognize CTE names, and also recognize sequences. If come across a piece of SQL code that the function is unable to process accurately, please provide us with an example, that will help us to improve the function working in future builds.
Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I tried to do something similar in the past and I must admit, it isn't a simple task to do. May I ask what language are you doing the code parsing in?
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:19 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: