SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Anomaly: SQL Assistant affect on TortoiseSVN

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Anomaly: SQL Assistant affect on TortoiseSVN
Olegon

Post Anomaly: SQL Assistant affect on TortoiseSVN Reply with quote
SQL Assistant 5.2.59
I have installed SVN client TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org) on my Windows 7 32bit.
When SQL Assistant running (in system tray) then commands of TortoiseSVN don't work. If you close SQL Assistant from system tray then TotroiseSNV will be work fine. I suspect it's something in target settings of SQL Assistant.
Thu May 19, 2011 12:22 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Not able to duplicate so far. What do you mean when you say "commands of TortoiseSVN", and what exactly do you mean by "don't work"?
Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 am View user's profile Send private message
Olegon

Post Reply with quote
Any command from explorer context menu "TortoiseSVN". Repo browser, check out, commit, about ...
When I select one of the TortoiseSVN commands it doesn't run, but TortoiseProc.exe appears in processes. But if I try to select command again then it's works. Sometimes it is working immediately after select, sometimes is's working with the 5, 10 attempt - with 5, 10 TortoiseProc.exe in processes.

You can simple try run trortoiseproc.exe (C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin) several times. It must only show About form. On my computer I ran trortoiseproc.exe 10 times but only once was succesful.
Thu May 19, 2011 8:57 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
I'm not seeing that behavior. As a first step, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling both TortoiseSVN and SQL Assistant, making sure to run each installation package in administrator mode (Run as administrator).
Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 am View user's profile Send private message
Olegon

Post Reply with quote
It didn't help.
Thu May 19, 2011 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm unable to reproduce this too, tried both XP and Win7. Which version of TortoiseSVN are you running?
Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 am View user's profile Send private message
Olegon

Post Reply with quote
I tried the versions from 1.6.12 to 1.6.15
Fri May 20, 2011 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I'm using the same config at my workplace (Win 7 32bit + SA + TortoiseSVN 1.6.15) and I experience some delay in executing SVN commands when initiating them the first time after a reboot. It does not always happen but when it does, the delay can be as long as 30-40 seconds. Issuing the command again when it does not seem to work will make it work immediately but it usually does work after the delay. I never thought it was SA related but I'll do some tests next week to see if it is.

UPDATE:
I guess it is. Having SA sitting (active or suspended did not matter) in the systray seemed to make TortoiseSVN commands to respond a bit "sluggish". They failed to execute about 1 out of 10 times. It looked like as if they were stuck. They weren't frozen but they weren't running either, just sitting there not doing anything at all (except for holding on to some memory). Restarting them from Process Explorer led to successful execution.
After shutting SA down from the systray the commands executed successfully every time. They also responded a bit faster.

This is based on 50 test runs for each case. I doubt it's sufficient, but I ran out of time.

EDIT: having an SSMS window with active SA open at the same time did not seem to have any effect on TortoiseSVN.
Sun May 22, 2011 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Still unable to duplicate. There's clearly something unusual going on.

Ok, so you said you reinstalled each application (after, presumably, a complete uninstall and reboot.) Other than running the installation packages (in admin mode), what else did you do? Did you establish any kind of explicit relationship between SA and Tortoise?
Mon May 23, 2011 5:18 am View user's profile Send private message
Olegon

Post Reply with quote
SysOpJ wrote:
Still unable to duplicate. There's clearly something unusual going on.

Ok, so you said you reinstalled each application (after, presumably, a complete uninstall and reboot.) Other than running the installation packages (in admin mode), what else did you do? Did you establish any kind of explicit relationship between SA and Tortoise?

I am sorry that didn't respond. I didn't receive post notification.

After installing I didn't do anything with SA or TortoiseSVN.
Maybe log of ProcessMonitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-en/sysinternals/bb896645) with records abount not completed TortoiseSVN command will help you. I can send e-mail with attachment.
Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please email any additional information you may have to the support account. We need to be able to reproduce the issue locally, or get sufficient technical information demonstrating the root cause of the issue.
Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 am View user's profile Send private message
Olegon

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Please email any additional information you may have to the support account. We need to be able to reproduce the issue locally, or get sufficient technical information demonstrating the root cause of the issue.

I sent it on support@softtreetech.com
Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:49 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. I will follow up on that.
Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:51 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm able to reproduce this issue.

Here is what I found out so far. Certain commands in TortoiseSVN (TortoiseProc.exe) make it to spawn additional instances of the same process.

So when the issue is manifesting, spawned TortoiseProc.exe instances don't appear on the screen for some time and it looks like nothing is happening and Tortoise menus aren't working. Killing the spawned instances from ProcessExplorer or from Task Manager clear some internal hooks, after that the primary TortoiseProc.exe is able to spawn new instances again and commands are working again for some time after which the same issue starts manifesting again. I'm referring this case further to the development team
Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: