SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Preventing unnecessary records with DB Audit

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
Preventing unnecessary records with DB Audit
gwert

Post Preventing unnecessary records with DB Audit Reply with quote
When using data auditing in DB Audit, it appears that update records are recorded any time an UPDATE statement is issued, even if no changes occurred. Is there any way to prevent that from happening? I'm using SQL Server 2008 R2.
Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote: "UPDATE statement is issued, even if no changes occurred" - there is no such thing in db world. If your application executes an update statement like
UPDATE my_table SET my_column = 5 WHERE key_col = 1
and the value in my_column is 5 before update, this is a still a physically executed update with writes to the disk cascading processing, index updates, etc… and as such it is recorded in the audit trail.

Now, if you want to limit auditing to updates affecting business important columns with value changes, use Column Change filters to select columns whose changes will lead to recording in the audit trail. Please don't confuse column selection for auditing and column-change filters.
Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:57 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: