SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Assistant 5.0 BETA program is starting this week March 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Assistant 5.0 BETA program is starting this week March 4
SysOp
Site Admin

Post SQL Assistant 5.0 BETA program is starting this week March 4 Reply with quote
If you are interested in beta testing this new version, you can download the most recent beta build here http://www.softtreetech.com/sqlassist/beta.htm

Last edited by SysOp on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:01 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
If u can list out what's new done in ver 5, then we can try out
Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sure. We'll have that posted during the weekend. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:14 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Here is a list of things that made into the first beta build.
===========================================

New code analysis and refactoring functions - new unique methods for searching and updating code dependencies in the database
1. Graphical analysis of dependencies for objects (tables, views, procedures, functions), table and view columns, procedure and function parameters.
2. Code refactoring - Extract View definition from procedural code - 3 clicks method for conversion of a block of code to a view - customizable templates.
3. Code refactoring - Extract sub procedure definition from procedural code - 3 clicks method for conversion of a block of code to a stored procedure or function - customizable templates.
4. Code refactoring - Rename procedure/function in database including automatic discovery of dependencies, code preview before updating, including all dependencies.
5. Code refactoring - Rename table/view in database including automatic discovery of dependencies, code preview before updating, including all dependencies.
6. Code refactoring - Rename table/view column view in database including automatic discovery of dependencies, code preview before updating, including all dependencies.
7. Code refactoring - Rename procedure/function parameter in database including automatic discovery of dependencies, code preview before updating, including all dependencies.
8. Code refactoring - rename local variable - rename local variables in procedures and functions (standalone code loaded in the editor or part of a large script).
9. Syntax checker improvements - highlighting for unused variables.

Advanced code entry automation - updated code snippets engine, programmable code snippets using SQL language
10. Support for user-defined interactive prompts. See new $PROMPT$ macro
11. User-defined programmable macros using SQL code. See new $$..$$ and accompanying macros $CURRENT_NAME$, $CURRENT_SEL$, etc...
12. Removed some limitations on old macros. For example, $COLUMNS$ and $COLUMNS_KEYS$ macros can be now used in the same code snippet.

Improved SQL Intellisense and Code Formatting
13. Improved keyword prompts - preferred keywords and SQL constructs displayed on top of the keyword prompts. You can now customize preferred keywords list to match your preferences.
14. Column popups after ORDER BY and GROUP BY keywords are now feature checkboxes. Multiple columns can be picked at once.
15. While-you-type and standalone code formatters support new formatting options allowing simultaneous use of different cases for keywords and for system functions, for example uppercasing keywords and using mixed or lower case for system functions.
16. New options for handling name delimiters. "Always Add Delimiters" option supports new mode "Only if name = keyword (limited)" You can now customize list of keywords that you also use as object and column names, and which you don't want SQL Assistant to treat as keywords, for example, the default configuration includes ID and Name, names, you can add your own.
17. "Show Keys and Indexed Columns" is preset for all assistance types by default. Primary keys, foreign keys, and indexed columns are displayed by default in column popups and mouse-over hints.
18. Mouse-over hints for table and view columns display hyperlinks for sample data preview and for DDL code view for views.
19. Mouse-over hints for procedure and function parameters display hyperlinks for procedure/function DDL code view.
20. Improved display of column name popups for PostgreSQL. The popups now indicate auto-generated values and indexed columns.
21. Improved recognition of auto-generated values in various SQL statements. For example, SQL Assistant does not insert references to "timestamp" columns in SQL server when generating code for table INSERT and UPDATE statements.
22. Improved control of column name popups. You can now configure additional symbols that trigger automatic column name popups, for example, you may add <, <>, >, BETWEEN and other symbols to trigger automatic column popup display
23. SQL Intellisense implemented for CREATE INDEX statement.
24. SQL Intellisense implemented for CREATE OR REPLACE AND COMPILE JAVA SOURCE.
25. Preset code formatting rule added for Oracle VARRAY.
26. Preset code formatting rule added for DEFAULT VALUES in INSERT/UPDATE statements in Transact-SQL.
27. Database name and schema name completion is now supported after Ctrl+Space. That new feature might be handy if you are dealing with long names and need to type them often.
28. Behavior change for query suggestions based on the code entry history. To avoid accidental insertion of historical queries into the code, they are not selected automatically when they are the only matching items in the context based prompts.
29. Added new option for controlling alias generation. You can now specify name prefixes that you want SQL Assistant to ignore.

New Add-ons
30. Add-ons for Delphi with built-in SQL Editor. Add-ons are available for all Delphi Windows versions from Delphi 2005 to Delphi 2010;

Data Import/Export/Generation
31. New test data generator for populating tables and schemas with realistic test data. Supports updates of single and multiple tables in one project.
32. Enhanced scripting and exporting table data now this feature supports exporting data from multiple tables and views, as well as from multiple schemas.

Miscellaneous
33. Syntax Check Results and Message panes allow copying and saving messages
34. Implemented user-friendly interface for protecting from run-away queries and results
35. Added handling for XML windows in SQL Server Management Studio. SQL Intellisense is disabled in XML windows.
36. Improved SEH (Structure Exception Handler) for better code quality and support.
37. Added new API functions, including new function for off-line code formatting, with support for multiple files.

Many other minor improvements and bug fixes

Last edited by SysOp on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:22 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
Wow! That's a lots of good stuff coming....Pl try to implement all MY feedback & suggestions provided to SoftTree till date. I would be glad if u consider all of them.
Hitesh
Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:52 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We've got a very long list of new features and enhancements that are going to be incrementally added to version 5 in the following up maintenance releases. In printed format that list is about 2 to 3 pages long and still growing. So there is a lot more to come. Please stay tuned.
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 am View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
I would like to participate as I did for the old beta (and now) but I only have free mail (Gmail, Hotmail), I also have an email from my DSL provider (@ libero.it), but I do not use and do not remember my password, I'm Searching ...
Why don't you accept mail free, now?
The gmail one is where you have sent me the older betas...
Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi Max, you are always welcome :)

Please contact support to obtain the download link.
We asked not to contact us by unknown users emailing from "anonymous" email accounts, sorry that is a result of our previous bad experience.
Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Features Reply with quote
I noticed that user defined macros were added to features. I asked support if they had something similar and it's nice to see that it got implemented in such a brilliant way.
Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you! We're happy to hear that you like it.
Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:37 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Error reports Reply with quote
Where should we post error reports? Directly to support?
Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please email them to supportATsofttreetech.com.

By the way, we are expecting a new beta build with some fixes and changes available later today.
Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
New beta build 5.0.74 was made available today.

Most of the changes made since the previous 2 beta builds 5.0.67 and 5.0.71 are concerned about functional changes in the Test Data Generator.

There are several other minor enhancements related to display of NULL values in the data view pan and the way NULL values are scripted when data is exported to CSV files.

The documentation got major face lift. This build includes completed topics for refactoring functions and for test data generation.
Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
How/where can I download it? Clicking on check updates reports "No updates found for the installed version." for 5.0.67 beta.
Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:35 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi. The first post in this thread provides specific instructions for getting the beta version.
Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: