SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Bug: User defined TYPE is Missing

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Bug: User defined TYPE is Missing
hitesh

Post Bug: User defined TYPE is Missing Reply with quote
Hi,

I am using SQL Assitant ver 4.1.7 + SQL SERVER 2005 exp edi

I have created user defined data types using CREATE TYPE syntax but it is not showing in sql assistance even after refreshing cache. For example: try this out...

Step#1
CREATE TYPE dtAMT FROM NUMERIC(15,2)

Step#2
CREATE TABLE MyTab( ProductPrice (?) here user defined datatype is not display but it shows system data types)

(or)

Step#3
try DROP TYPE ? (here dtAMT) is not displayed

Hitesh
Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:26 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
And why you call it a bug? Do you see anywhere in the documentation that user-defined types are supported?
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
Hi there,

I am extremly sorry for that assumption! but you see in realtime scenario, from developer point of view, it is hardly any one would go thru document before using a software (unless otherwise is required). Anyways, I would like to suggest STree to implement this feature in coming updates.
Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:40 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Just in case, the data-type prompt is based on the keyword prompting feature which is based on static compilation of SQL Server documentation, and which knows nothing about user defined types created after the compilation. That's why you cannot see your types in the keyword prompts in DDL statements (CREATE/ALTER/etc…).

However you should be able to see them in DDL statements (SELECT/INSERT/etc…) in which the contents is pulled from the database data dictionary using customizable SQL queries available in SQL Assistant options.

I hope this description helps to understand how this stuff works internally and what to t from it.
Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
To achieve my requirement, currently I am using workaround solution by adding all user defined data types to list of keywords in SQL Assistant option window for sql server. Being a developer I can understand your point of view, I just like to share a tip to extract user defined data types from sql server 2005/2008. you may use this SQL to retrieve ALL DATA TYPES defined by system or user!

“SELECT name FROM systypes”

To implement a uniform standard across tables and other db objects we create UD-Data Type and use it. Our DB structure is large and having this feature integrated automatically feels like a need of an hour. So I request you to please enable this feature in the interest of value addition to a product.

Thank you,
Hitesh
Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:21 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That's actually a very good idea to add them to keywords list. This will make SQL Assistant to treat them just like regular data types. I'm glad you found an acceptable solution.
Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: