SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SSMS 2005 crashes

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SSMS 2005 crashes
jrandall

Post SSMS 2005 crashes Reply with quote
Has anyone else reported SSMS 2005 crashing (no warning, no error msg, app just disappears) after extended use with SQL Assistant? This happened to me a couple of times during the beta, and happened again yesterday after installing the full release. I had a full day of writing and editing stored procedures and managing remote SQL Servers via SSMS when the app just crashed. Upon restart, SSMS did not try to find/reload the .sql file I was working on. A quick search in google and SQL Server KB did not turn up any obvious bugs or fixes reported from other sources.
Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you see this issue recurring (random or reproducible on demand), please contact support for further assistance. We will provide you via email with specific instructions on how to troubleshoot it.

PS. Several people have reported SSMS crashing problem during the beta testing period in builds 4.0.20 to 4.0.24. We made several fixes in 4.0.24 to 4.0.28 and ran 2 week poll on this forum asking people to provide feedback on stability of SQL Assistant 4.0.28 and SSMS stability. By the end of the beta, all people who participated in the pool indicated that the issues were gone and it stopped crashing.
Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 am View user's profile Send private message
jrandall

Post SSMS 2005 crashing Reply with quote
I did see the poll on stability. I hadn't experienced a crash in a couple of days with the last beta build, so I thought we were good to go. Even yesterday, the crash did not occur until after a solid 8 hours of use. If it happens again today, I'll contact support. Thanks.
Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:32 am View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
I had the same problem, at the first moment i've turned off the "Auto Check" of "Check Sql Syntax" (you can try it , right click to find the option) but , after the installation of 4.0.28 and re-enabled the feature, i have not had the crashes.
Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:19 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the status update.

Just in case, if you are unaware, the last build is 4.0.30 and it has been released as a stable non-beta version.
Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:31 am View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
I thought that this problem was adjusted but i was wrong ...
It happened yet (msms05 disappears without errors while i'm writing),
it's quite rare but still happens , with the last build 4.1.8.
(o.t.: it's normal that the autocomplete shows the 2005 functions (like "try catch") even if i have selected the sql reference of 2000 ?)
Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:24 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Try turning off real-time syntax checker. Several users reported that real-time syntax checker is sometimes causing problems in SSMS while trying to concurrently update the display. These problems don't occur when the real-time syntax checker is turned off.
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:53 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In response to TRY...CATCH and SQL Reference 2000/2005/2008, to be honest I'm not sure how the keyword prompting is linked to the selected reference. Logically it should be controlled by the selected reference version, but the internal working of this feature is not well documented. I will try to find out the details from the development team and get back to you later. It is a holiday season, people are taking time off and it may take a a couple of days before I get an answer for this type of question.
Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I've got the answer for TRY...CATCH

This is controlled by the keywords list attached to the selected formatting style. TRY and some other SQL 2005/2008 keywords come from that list. Here is what you can do to remove them.

1. Create a copy of the T-SQL Default Formatting Style (use the "copy" icon on Code Formatting tab). Let's say the new style is named "T-SQL 2000 Formatting Style"
2. Expand Keywords option on the right side of the dialog and edit keyword list in the new style. Remove things you don't want there.
3. On Targets tab click MS Query Analyzer target and on the right side of the dialog change selection for Code Formatting Style to "T-SQL 2000 Formatting Style"

If needed, repeat step 3 for other targets.
Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: