SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Accepting enhancement suggestions for new releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Accepting enhancement suggestions for new releases
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Ctrl+Space, F5 should trigger cache refresh.
True, but it does not work all the time. Sometimes there is no popup (even though it occurs very rarely), it just syntax completes. After which F5 will execute the query if you're not careful.

Quote:
Doing it after each query is a resource-expensive operation. I personally don't think that would be a good idea.

I was not a deliberate idea, indeed. When you're manipulating data it it would be nonsense. But if you're creating tables/procedures/whatsoever, be it resource-expensive or not, you cannot avoid it. You'll pressing ctrl+space, F5 after each and every query (almost endlessly) because after every query the cache will be outdated. So, if SA was able to detect there was DDL in the last executed query (I'm not sure it is possible if the query was run by ssms and not by SA), it could mark the cache outdated and there could be an option/checkbox/popup/question, whether you want it to refresh or not.

But that's just an idea. I must admit, I'm shamelessly lazy :)
Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:38 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I logged new enhancement request to add global hotkey for SQL Assistant cache refresh?

Quote:
So, if SA was able to detect there was DDL in the last executed query (I'm not sure it is possible if the query was run by ssms and not by SA), it could mark the cache outdated and there could be an option/checkbox/popup/question, whether you want it to refresh or not.

I would be only possible for queries executed by SQL Assistant and only when each query is executed separately (no batches), and without preconditions like
IF not exists (SELECT ...) CREATE TABLE ...

In all other cases, only the database server knows the impact of the query execution
Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:08 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:

I would be only possible for queries executed by SQL Assistant and only when each query is executed separately (no batches), and without preconditions like
IF not exists (SELECT ...) CREATE TABLE ...

In all other cases, only the database server knows the impact of the query execution

I thought it would not be that easy. Never mind, a global hotkey would be a very nice addition, thank you.
Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Re: Store bookmarks in the proc Reply with quote
May I ask if this suggestion below is accepted?

gmcintosh wrote:
We have many stored procs with hundreds and sometimes thousands of lines each. I'm wondering if there is a way of storing bookmarks inside the stored proc. Maybe if the bookmarks that are created in the usual way are then written with special codes as comments near the start of the procedure. (This could also double as a 'table of contents' for the stored proc). Then when the procedure is later opened SQL Assistant recognises the codes in the special comments and 'rebuilds' the bookmarks automatically for that proc.

This would provide a permanent navigation system for procedures, where broad sections of a procedure could be automatically bookmarked and shown in the 'table of contents' at the top of the procedure for quick navigation.

As an aside, it would be useful to be able to assign a name/label to each bookmark rather than just a number.

Additionally, would it be possible for code formating to leave bookmarks? I know they could point to wrong lines after formatting but many times they don't and it's cumbersome to place them over and over again after every format.
Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:17 am View user's profile Send private message
hawkins132

Post Reply with quote
First, love the product! I cam from Sqlassit, and Sql Prompt, both can't match to this product!

I use Sql Server 2005

Two suggestions:

1. Need a Hot-Key Mapper. The problems is, since so many programs got default hot-keys, some of Sql Assitant's hot-keys don't work
2. Since I've used Sqlassit, it has a #region function simliar to Visual Studio! It would be really helpful to create custom collapsable regions!

Aaron
Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback and nice comments.

1. You can change mappings for all hot keys in SQL Assistant options. That can be done at the target settings level and globally for all targets. See "Hot keys" settings for targets and also "Default Hot Keys" in the "Common" section.
2. This is unfortunately not possible as it will break the target editor. On the other hand, there are other SQL editors, VS included, that do support collapsible regions.
Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
rick_townsend

Post Scripting query results as inserts Reply with quote
Currently we can script the contents of a table as insert statements. It would be great if we could script any query results generated using the "Execute SQL Code" menu option in SQL Assistant. The only work-around I've found is to create a view from my query, then script that view's data, then open the script and do a replace all on the view name.

I realise SQL Assistan must use the table definition when decidig how to script out the insert statements, but perhaps they could just be scripted to a temp table or table variable instead? For example, the Table Data Export window's Export Options tab could include options for choosing a table variable or temp table, and use the data types of the query results to define the table. The resulting script could look like:

Code:
create table #temp (
   col1   int,
   col2   nvarchar(128),
   col3   nvarchar(128),
   col4   datetime
)

insert into #temp (col1, col2, col3, col4) values (1, 'abc', null, '1 jan 2010');

Or somethng similar for a table variable. (I'm not sure if all the rdbms you support include table variables.)
Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
gmcintosh

Post Highlight missing dbo. prefix Reply with quote
I was wondering if you could have an option (since this may not suit everyone, depending on environment) to highlight certain objects that have not been prefixed with dbo., maybe with the usual grey indicator in the right margin to show the location. These can be hard to find within a large proc. I guess it is not really needed for repeated references of the object in WHERE clauses etc, just the first time the object is referenced within a query.
Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,,
There is already a code refactoring method available in the PRO version that can do that as well as it can actually automatically add schema names and optionally database names to object names which are mssing such things. See Refactoring / Qualify Object Names menu. When you use that menu, you first get a preview of what is going to be chnaged. If you click OK, the changes will be applied, if you click Cancel, nothing will be changed.
Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
m00r

Post Reply with quote
1. Make an action like 'Hide Code Structure' in addition to 'Show Code Structure (Ctrl+F12)', perhaps on a same HotKey like 'Show/Hide Code Structure (Ctrl+F12)'. It's to hard for me (i'm lazy, i'm a programmer) to open Structure panel by hotkey and then hide it only with mouseclick after finding close icon in bottom of screen.
P.S. The common situation is to open Structure Panel, find position in structure and then close Structure Panel to make main script window wider.

2. Like 1. Instead of 'Show Bird's View (Shift-F12)' make 'Show/Hide Bird's View (Shift-F12)'

3. Applying to panel 'Show Table Data' and 'Show Procedure /View Code'. Make a hotkey to close this Panel.

I like SQL assistant :-)
Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:23 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

I think the key you are looking for is Ctrl+Shift+R. If you like, you can change this default key to something else.
Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
m00r

Post Reply with quote
Hi, SysOp
Oh, this is a good key :) Don't find it before.

But this key again only hide windows :) May be, it will be more useful to make a combination Show / Hide for all 'Show' and 'Hide' actions... (for example, Win+D in Windows works in both directions)
Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm going to submit it to the product enhancements queue for further review and prioritization..
Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Allow downgrades/rollbacks Reply with quote
For the auto upgrade, save the installer to a location so downgrades/rollbacks can be performed.
Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
It is saved in the user temporary folder. Or so it seems.
Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 am View user's profile Send private message
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: