SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Newbie questions

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
Newbie questions
Lilith

Post Newbie questions Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm in the process of evaluating different database auditing software. I have downloaded DB Audit and Alert Center. I have installed DB Audit on local computer and tried to set up auditing on a SQLServer2005 db. I can't enable the system auditing, I get the following message:
"A database error occurred while your request was being processed. Here are the details:
Could not load the DLL xp_dbaudit.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be foud)."

It is not very clear for me if there's any component that has to be installed on the server.
Also, a question regarding DBAudit's capabilities: i'm trying to monitor and audit activity in the DB from the data point of view. The DB is used by a J2EE application and all connections from the app to the BD are done through a connection cache on the j2ee server. The connection cache is set up for a generic user. As such, running an sp_who on the DB I can see only this generic user connected to the DB. I want to be able to distinguish between the inserts,updates, etc done by other user than the generic user and within the generic user monitoring, to be able to define a profile based on specific table columns containing the app's user id (combination between DB user monitoring and monitoring by defined table column). Is it possible to do this using DBAudit?

Thank you,
Liliht
Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Did you copy the required DLL to SQL Server's BINN folder? If yes, did you copy the correct version? If you are not sure where to get it or where to copy it, please read details in the DB Audit Manual for Installing system auditing on SQL Server systems.

In regard to sharing super-user account for all connections and "data point of view" , yes it is possible. You would need to use the Data-change auditing and attach custom user name mapping procedure. In brief, DB audit can be configured to call your custom procedure passing parameters of the database session and your procedure will lookup details in the j2ee server logs pulling real user name and returning it to DB Audit processes. As a result, that real user name will be stored in the audit trail and will be available for reporting, searches, forensic analysis, etc... etc.... Note that several sample procedures are available in the manual and the information can be really pulled from any source, data tables, files, etc.. If you provide more details about your application, its logging capabilities, database type, etc.. I can help you with the implementation.
Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: