SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Feature Suggestions

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Feature Suggestions
ChrisRickard

Post Feature Suggestions Reply with quote
Or these could possibly be things I just don't know how to do :)

Whenever the SQL Reference, Code Structure, or Procedure Code windows are displayed I can't seem to dismiss them via keyboard, only a mouse. It would be nice if it closed on ESC.

The automatic popup of the suggestion window only comes up with space, but I primarily use tabs. For instance this works:

Code:
select * from <- popup appears

But this doesn't

Code:
select{tab}*
FROM{tab}<- no popup appears

It would be nice if both worked, or if this was configurable.

the LEFT() and RIGHT() functions usually don't have the built in function helper like the other functions.
For instance

Code:
SELECT LEFT(<- No Popup

However, this chunk of invalid SQL seems to make it work:

Code:
SUBSTRING
LEFT(<- Popup appears!

The automagic JOIN assistant is wonderful most of the time, but if you want SQL assistant to help you on something besides the automatic JOIN it won't let you.

For instance suppose I had this query
Code:
USE Northwind
GO

SELECT   *
FROM   Orders o
JOIN   Customers c
ON      

At this point the only thing SQL Assistant is giving me is the join on CustomerID. I can't bring up the regular candidate list to help me with anything I might want to use as a join condition.
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:24 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Whenever the SQL Reference, Code Structure, or Procedure Code windows are displayed I can't seem to dismiss them via keyboard, only a mouse.

These windows are supposed to be sticky and can be opened separately or be opened all at the same time. You can continue using them, refreshing, navigating, etc.. while typing your code. For example, Code Structure has self-refresh feature, Code View will store the history if you don't close while browsing code different objects, you can the navigate the history without searching the objects. If you feel that you need more workspace you can always resize these windows, Although from my experience they only remember their size in the current editor window, if you have multiple windows open or multiple editors you need to resize them individually.

Quote:
The automatic popup of the suggestion window only comes up with space, but I primarily use tabs.

Well, you can use Ctrl+Space the get the popup where you want regardless of which key you used before that.

Quote:
the LEFT() and RIGHT() functions usually don't have the built in function helper like the other functions.

If think they should. You can verify this in options and add/modify functions as needed - See "DB Options" tab, "Custom Assistance" settings group. I am pretty sure these functions are included by default. Here is how this works, after typing function name, SQL Assistant shows all parameters for that function and all columns, expressions, available in the same query that can be pasted as parameters, after you type the first parameter and type comma, the first parameter is eliminated from the popup, after second parameter entered and comma, first 2 parameters are removed, and so on. So you get the idea. There is a small deficiency for functions that have 1 parameter only, like LEFT, the popup appears after function name is entered, not after "("

Quote:
The automagic JOIN assistant is wonderful most of the time, but if you want SQL assistant to help you on something besides the automatic JOIN it won't let you.

You can theoretically modify the catalog query for joins and make it return anything you want. This can be a bit tricky but doable. Please see Joins (MSSQL) query on "DB Options" table "DB Queries" setting group. You can editor the query on the right, just don't modify the result set structure, otherwise you can add your own stuff as required.

My guess, that something else in the code didn't help SQL Assistant to recognize "SELECT LEFT(" as a function reference,
Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:06 am View user's profile Send private message
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, you can use Ctrl+Space the get the popup where you want regardless of which key you used before that.

True, but you have to admit that an automatic popup at the right time makes for a more productive experience than manual intervention :-)

*Update* to this: I found that Tabs automatically activate the popup in QueryAnalyzer, just not in SSMS.

Quote:
These windows are supposed to be sticky and can be opened separately or be opened all at the same time

Ah yes, I see it now. They are docked windows, for some reason I had thought they were floating before...
Still though if I want them to go away I can't do it without taking my hands off the keyboard, which for a programmer is bordering on heresy :-)

Quote:
You can theoretically modify the catalog query for joins and make it return anything you want

Thanks, I'll play around with this

Quote:
My guess, that something else in the code didn't help SQL Assistant to recognize "SELECT LEFT(" as a function reference

Good guess, but the two examples I gave had no surrounding code.
Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
True, but you have to admit that an automatic popup at the right time makes for a more productive experience than manual intervention :-)

I admit that an automatic popup in that case is a better option. So the issue is... in SSMS entering tab after keyword doesn't activate the popup. I'm adding this issue as a bug; although I'm sure this will require custom code tailoring for SSMS target editor.

Quote:
Still though if I want them to go away I can't do it without taking my hands off the keyboard, which for a programmer is bordering on heresy :-)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will add this is an enhancement request to add keyboard shortcuts for Assistant windows.
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
Awesome, thank you!
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: