SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
connect

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
connect
Kevin

Post connect Reply with quote

I am running linux 6.2 with oracle 8.1.5 and 8.1.6. I am trying to connect with this product (evaluation copy), from a windows 98 machine. I have several appliations already connecting to my oracle databases, but this gives me ora 12154's and 12538 error messages. I have tried to use SID and SERVICE_NAME entries in my tnsnames. ora file, to no avail.

Wed Jun 28, 2000 2:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Re: connect Reply with quote

This may happen if the tnsnames.ora file was not found in %ORACLE_HOME%\NET80\ADMIN directory or specified protocol adapter is not installed.
Both problems are caused by misconfiguration of the client machine and have nothing to do with the database server.

For more details please read the Oracle descriptions for your errors

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Cause: The service name specified is not defined correctly in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Action: Make the following checks and correct the error:
- Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the required name and location.
- Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.
- Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net V2 Administrator's Guide. If possible, regenerate the configuration files using the Oracle Network Manager.

ORA-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter

Cause: The protocol adapter requested (by way of the "(PROTOCOL=..)" keyword-value pair in a TNS address) is unknown. If the supplied address is typographically correct then the protocol adaptor is not installed.

Action: Install the protocol adapter or correct typographical error, as appropriate. Note: if the supplied address was derived from resolving the service name, check the address in the appropriate file (TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA or TNSNET.ORA).

: I am running linux 6.2 with oracle 8.1.5 and 8.1.6. I am trying to connect
: with this product (evaluation copy), from a windows 98 machine. I have
: several appliations already connecting to my oracle databases, but this
: gives me ora 12154's and 12538 error messages. I have tried to use SID and
: SERVICE_NAME entries in my tnsnames. ora file, to no avail.

Wed Jun 28, 2000 5:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: