SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Assistant crashes Notepad

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Assistant crashes Notepad
sangha

Post SQL Assistant crashes Notepad Reply with quote
In the Target tab I have set Notepad to use SQL Server.

Now in notepad when I type SELECT and press SPACE I get the SQL Assistant Connect dialog. When I press connect Notepad crashes and I am getting "An unhandled win32 exception occured in notepad.exe".
Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I am unable to reproduce this. Could you please provide more information about the connection? Is that an Oracle or SQL Server connection? What client version do you have installed? Can you connect to other servers?
Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
I am using SQL Server connection.
SQL Assistant version 1.0.55
Notepad version 5.1

I tried wordpad. It works fine there. But I found a little problem while calling the shortcut to open Target Options form. This problem is also with the Connect form. Check the caption of the form. Looks like some font problem while setting the caption.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
Also I found out while using Wordpad. Everytime I open wordpad I have to go through the connect form. Is there any way to skip this step by saving connection details.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Connection properties (server, user, password) are saved automatically unless you disable that option. On the Connect dialog you can select one of the previously used connections from the Server Name drop-down list.

The Connection dialog doesn't appear only if you use SQL*Plus, SQL Analyzer and some other database programs which we call "known IDE" and where we can intercept the existing database connection established by the editor and join that connection. So if we can join this connection the Connect dialog is not needed. In all other cases we show the Connect dialog.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
giggles220

Post Reply with quote
Is Management Studio part of the list where we shouldn't get the connect dialog b/c I do get it there. I find it annoying but not annoying enough to not use sql assistant. It would be great if I didn't have to "connect" just to use sql assistant especially since I just connected via SSMS.
Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:40 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Management Studio part of the list where we shouldn't get the connect dialog b/c I do get it there. I find it annoying but not annoying enough to not use sql assistant. It would be great if I didn't have to "connect" just to use sql assistant especially since I just connected via SSMS.

There are several versions of Management Studio that come with different versions of SQL Server and Visual Studio/Team. We can handle connection intercept in some of them but not all. These versions have some differences that make it impossible to apply the same technique to all of them not to mention using different connection methods ODBC/ADO/etc… We are working on improving the algorithms and adding support for more protocols. Connection intercept is probably the most complicated part of the product and requires a lot of hacking in a good sense of that word and a lot of debugging. Please stay tuned and download new builds/versions as they become available.
Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
I tried using Notepad on another machine. It crashed there too. Th OS on both the machines is Win XP Pro SP 2. And the connection I used was SQL Server in both the cases.
Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We are checking this issue. I will post an update when available.
Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
yuan

Post having exact same problem on XP when connecting to Oracle Reply with quote
Just ran into the same problem when running SQL Assistant with Notepad as Target.
My system environment is Windows XP, and connecting to an oracle database.

the following is the screenshot showing the error. it looks like a security violation problem.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

We found the cause of this issue and will have a fix available next week.
Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please upgrade to version 1.0.60 or later
Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:07 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: