SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[12.0.167 BETA] - Process message update frequency

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[12.0.167 BETA] - Process message update frequency
gemisigo

Post [12.0.167 BETA] - Process message update frequency Reply with quote
What is the frequency of updating the process message?

In this screenshot below

the messages pane shows "Processing line 2 of 15...". But according to the Session Monitor, the server is already processing the 11th line (including the comments). And please, disregard the discrepancy of the actual line numbers shown in the editor, I moved the whole text closer to the result pane by adding newlines to avoid having to create a large screenshot.
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The line number in the messages is relative to the executed code. If you highlight a block of code in a middle of the file, and run it, line 2 would refer to the second line of that block, not the start of the file.
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I know, but that's irrelevant here. I only mentioned it to make sure you're aware that though the screenshot does not indicate highlighted execution (as it was not started as one), there isn't anything on line 2 that could make the status message true and the discrepancy between the line number shown by the status message and the actual line in the editor is my doing. It does not change the fact that the status message says it is currently processing line 2 while it is already processing line 11.
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:01 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Any updates on this one?
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:49 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It looks weird to me that the status bar is showing all ALTER INDEX commands in the same line as if all of them are executed as a single SQL block.

Is there a GO below the visible area?
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:13 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
No, there weren't any GOs. But you gave me an idea and reproduced that test case. It seems that the status only updates after it meets a GO.

Check this short video here. I've inserted a couple of WAITFORs to control the flow because the DISABLE statement is near instantaneous. When I start the execution, it immediately shows in the status bar and I can see it in the Session Monitor as well. But it does, indeed, say that it is running all the stuff in the first batch, and does not consider them as things that are run separately, even though the Session Monitor knows exactly which statement is currently running.
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it's not executing each ALTER separately. It's executing the entire T-SQL block or script if there is no GO as a single atomic operation. Because there are no messages printed after each ALTER, you don't see progress of work messages. The status bar message indicates it's executing the entire block with the beginning of the code visible in the status message. It lets SQL Server do code parsing and interpretation.

Just in case, that behavior is different from MySQL, which doesn't support anonymous code blocks, so parsing is done by the editor.
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
The server definitely executes each statement separately (what other way could it be done?). I don't know how SA/SE perceives what's happening inside the server with the statements SA/SE as a query, I simply assumed that it periodically checks which statement the server is at that moment and it compares to the statements that have been passed to it because I guess that's the simplest thing it could do to achieve a reasonable level of accuracy as the Session Monitor does. That does not seem to be the case here (perhaps for performance reasons?). The status bar showing all the statements in the same batch concatenated to a single line is a good indicator of that, that I should have noticed, have I paid attention, which I obviously didn't :(
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That status bar is showing client's side/text of what has been sent to the server for execution. It has no way of knowing server progress othen displaying in the Messages what comes back from the server. Line 2 is simply the starting number of the second T-SQL batch. What i cannot see above line 14 belongs to the first T-SQL batch. What seems to be confusing here is that it's referring to it generically as statement 2 instead of batch 2. Choice of generic words isn't helping here.

The difference here, in case of SQL Server it sends each T-SQL batch in one go, while in case of MySQL it parses out each individual statement and sends it separately as it cannot send them as a batch. Hope my example helps here.
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: