SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
FR: closing tabs in SE

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
FR: closing tabs in SE
gemisigo

Post FR: closing tabs in SE Reply with quote
Many applications (browsers and editors) that handle tabs have this feature of closing tabs right/left of the current tab in their tab context menu. Some of them even go further and offer to close only those that have unsaved changes or are untitled (not associated with any file yet). SE only has three of those, Close All Other Tabs, Close Tab, and Close All. Adding a few of those missing would help when trying to reduce the clutter tabbed editors tend to accumulate rather quickly.
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:18 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
While we're asking for tab features, can we get a way to pin tabs ala SSMS?
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
@gemisigo
Quote:
SE only has three of those, Close All Other Tabs, Close Tab, and Close All. Adding a few of those missing would help when trying to reduce the clutter tabbed editors tend to accumulate rather quickly.

Thank you, certainly, I will enter an enhancement request for that.

@Mindflux
Quote:
pin tabs ala SSMS

Do you mean the pin icon making tabs sticky, like panes, so they don't close when all others close?
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:47 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Quote:

@Mindflux

Do you mean the pin icon making tabs sticky, like panes, so they don't close when all others close?

The way SSMS pins tabs is it moves them above the other (unpinned) tabs.

Example:

In the right click (tab) context menu there is a "close all but pinned" option. Oddly, "close all but this" on any tab, STILL removes the pinned tabs (which to me seems like a defect but IDK).
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:03 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
+1 for the idea Mindflux presented. The pin for panes is a great feature, but it would be also nice to have the sticky tabs too. Browsers and editors usually move sticky tabs to be in front (I mean far left) of the non-sticky ones, but moving them above the others is a much better solution, IMHO. You might lose a line's worth of screen estate in the editor but get the sticky ones more standing out.
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:22 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Just in case, there is a feature in SASE that enabled pinning recent documents, basically keep the list of documents always docked to a side. That enables opening any recent documents saved or unsaved with a double-click, in that use case whether a tab is open or closed isn't much relevant, the documents are virtual, their saved or unsaved state is more of a nuance. To use, click File -> Recent Documents... menu. Right-click the title bar of the Recent Documents dialog, then select Dock and docking location. Resize the docked pane to your taste.

I'm not saying it's a substitute for pinned tabs. But it provides similar benefits plus searching documents by name and path, as well as contents
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I usually keep that dialog open on a separate monitor. When it's docked it either occupies too much space or is too small to be helpful.
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Christmas is approaching fast, so I'm throwing in an enhancement suggestion for this feature request. The original request was to add some new features to editor tabs but the same new features would work well with result set pane tabs too.
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. Pinning result panes is more problematic. If my understanding is correct, that data isn't saved anywhere, not in a file, not in a workspace database. Restoring result tabs on startup or other kind of their parent edit tab reopening would require rerunning the database queries, which may not always work fast or return the same result.

Maybe saving them to a separate file could help? Is right-click then Print Report/PDF menu of any use for that?
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Ohh, sorry, I was a bit sloppy. I was thinking about the close all/all-but-this/to-the-left/to-the-right feature, not the pinning one.
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:22 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Got it. Thank you. Close This Tab/ Close All / and Close All Other Tabs are already available. I'm going to ask to add to-the-left/to-the-right
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Thank you very much!
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The enhancements you suggested have been implemented in 12.2. Thank you very much for your input.
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Splendid! I see you've added a Clone too. Great!
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:58 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: