SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[ES] - Copy column names and types from result set

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[ES] - Copy column names and types from result set
gemisigo

Post [ES] - Copy column names and types from result set Reply with quote
You can copy the contents of the result set and it will even copy the column names, which is great for moving the result set contents into eg a csv. For documentation purposes, it would be invaluable if there was a quick way to copy the structure (name and type) of the result set.
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:42 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I guess you mean structure of a dynamic result , not a table or view structure. Am i correct?
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:47 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I was referring to the data that could be extracted from the results pane, regardless of how it got there, through a plain ad-hoc query, or running a stored procedure, or whatever else you might do to get a result set.
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
While not exactly what you described, but very very close... top level Execute menu -> Find Column in Results. From there you can copy to clipboard, save to file, open in Excel with all the data types, and more.
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, that could work, but it doesn't because of two significant issues:

1. I cannot copy from there. Neither by Ctrl+c nor using a context menu (the grid in that dialog does not have any). I also cannot select group(s) of columns, only single ones. Neither Ctrl+click nor Shift+click works.
2. That list is ordered alphabetically, which is almost always not in the same order the result set columns are ordered.
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:53 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
By any chance, you are not looking at right-click menu Find Column dialog, are you? The top level Execute menu -> Find Column in Results isn't the same as right-click, it has a different function.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:13 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Well, I was. And indeed, they are different. Actually, this is fu... er, I mean funtastic! It does exactly what I need, yet I never knew about this feature. Why did you hide it there?
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: