SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[ES] - Session Monitor Show dropdown

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[ES] - Session Monitor Show dropdown
gemisigo

Post [ES] - Session Monitor Show dropdown Reply with quote
Currently, the Show dropdown list has two items, All sessions and Running sessions. While it is possible to filter on blocked and their blocker session by turning on auto-filter and adding custom filters but that's a tedious job. It would help a lot if you could add another item that makes the grid only show those blocking and blocked sessions without requiring any additional filtering.
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestion. I will add an enhancement request for that one.

Just in case, Locks and Waits tab in the Performance Dashboard(s) performs very similar function showing blocked/ing sessions, and also sessions experiencing long waits.
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Thank you very much!

Yes, the Performance Dashboard is great for deeper insights and more detailed investigations but for the quick-glance-type checks when the support department asks its usual daily question (is there something wrong with the XYZ database again???) the Session Monitor is usually faster. It's also usually already open.
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It looks like this small enhancement has made into 12.0 release, which is expected next week.
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That's great news, thank you very much!
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:29 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
This feature is able to list the sessions that are blocked, but it filters out the sessions that do the blocking. They are important too. Is it possible to user-edit the query the session monitor uses to for the different Show filters, so that Blocked sessions would filter on blocked and blocking sessions simultaneously?

Hmm, I'll go even further: it would be great if it was possible to add user-defined filters that could be selected from the Show dropdown (except, of course, all that is already doable, and I'm the ignorant monkey not finding the way to do it).
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There is "Session Monitor (MySQL)". You can add ORDER BY clause to it to "push" blockers and blocked session to the top of the results. In theory can arrange them as a blocker session followed by eveything it's blocking, then next blocker, and so on. You can also add additional columns to the display, simply add them to the query.
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Hmm, I have already eyed that query to move the columns around. I didn't know I could add columns to it. The idea to rearrange the blocked sessions and their blockers is brilliant, thanks, it's much easier to analyze stuff now that they are next to each other and I don't have to hunt them down. Alas, the Blocked session dropdown item still removes the culprit from the list.
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The Blocked Sessions is a programmatic filter applied to the already displayed sessions on their status or blocker column, not sure which one it uses internally, might be actually different for different database types.
That's why we suggested to modify the query to push blocked sessions and blockers to the top of the view in order to workaround the need for filtering.

Another option is adding a new column to the Session Monitor query, which can be used with the Filter feature. For example it can return 1 for blocked and blockers, and 0 for everybody else, which would enable quick filtering on that value.
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:05 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:

Another option is adding a new column to the Session Monitor query, which can be used with the Filter feature. For example it can return 1 for blocked and blockers, and 0 for everybody else, which would enable quick filtering on that value.

That's exactly what I've done.
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:16 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: