SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[12.0.167 BETA] - Tab switching (SQL Server) + FR: tab color

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[12.0.167 BETA] - Tab switching (SQL Server) + FR: tab color
gemisigo

Post [12.0.167 BETA] - Tab switching (SQL Server) + FR: tab color Reply with quote
I noticed that when having a long-running script being executed in a tab that uses RAISERROR to show some progress information from time to time, SQL Editor instantly switches to that tab. If the SQL Editor does not have the focus at the time of the tab switch, the tab bar still shows the original tab to be selected and not the one that is displayed (check this short video here).

It is also likely to result in something catastrophic when this tab switch happens in the middle of doing/typing something in another tab, eg. I'm about to abort the execution in the current tab, and suddenly, the current tab is no longer the same it was just a second ago and I end up killing the wrong query.

While it is useful to notify the users that there is some action going on (there are new messages in a tab's message pane), this is more a distraction/nuisance than a help. There's currently a color coding applied to tabs to mark them as executing a query (a whiter shade of pale, not very visible, though). Why not simply use more colors? The messages pane's tab gets a not-too-well distinguishable green marker when the query is executed successfully and a rather well-visible one when the was an error.

You could color the editor tabs in the same manner:
- the original gray when there's no result/messages pane open
- red when the query failed
- green when the query has been executed successfully
- yellow (a slightly more visible tinge of it, perhaps) when execution is in progress
- (flashing?) blue when the execution is in progress but the tab is not current and it has (yet) unseen messages.
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:21 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I don't believe the described behavior is intentional, the messages should stay on the tab they belong to and the input focus can't jump just because some new message is received. Each tab has its own messages pane, could be actually multiple message panes on each tab if they are renamed.

I submitted new issue #SA0042123, hopefully this can be quickly fixed.
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:08 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
It's not the messages that wander around. The message pane does stay on the tab it belongs to, SE switches to the tab that receives a new message. The tab switch is clearly visible, it happens as if I had clicked that tab. The short video I attached presents the case when SE does not have the focus, in which case the tab is still switched that fact is not reflected on the tab row.
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for additional clarifications, I have added them to the ticket.
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:03 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: