SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.5.362] Misplaced paren gives column suggestions?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.5.362] Misplaced paren gives column suggestions?
Mindflux

Post [11.5.362] Misplaced paren gives column suggestions? Reply with quote
Adding a paren after your FROM <table> statement will give you column suggestions (erroneously?) but only if you are not aliasing the table?

https://www.screencast.com/t/fns3ui6d3
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I think it's something else, just a bit confusing in the described scenario. It's assuming you are after creating temp table or table function or something similar you may need in the code. To see that, don't enter SELECT * FROM. In an empty editor just enter some existing table name and then enter opening parenthesis, you will get the same kind of prompt giving you a chance to select table columns.
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I think it's something else, just a bit confusing in the described scenario. It's assuming you are after creating temp table or table function or something similar you may need in the code. To see that, don't enter SELECT * FROM. In an empty editor just enter some existing table name and then enter opening parenthesis, you will get the same kind of prompt giving you a chance to select table columns.

So, is this a defect or by design?
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The behavior is by design, however the use case isn't totally clear to me, I personally find it more confusing than helpful.
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Hmm. Strange. The only use case that comes to my mind for column picking after a table followed by an opening parenthesis is with the INSERT INTO statement. But that already has its own popup which is correctly a multi-select one (that is, it has checkboxes), and this one is a single-select.
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I got some clarifications, this feature was implemented quite a while ago to aid with coding temporary tables, so that one can pick column names from an existing table without typing SELECT.., then add #, @, or some other prefix in front of the name. In short, you can enter name, then type bracket and choose first required column, you can then type comma, and you are prompted for the next columns, after selecting, type comma, and so on. You don't need to remember column names. This kind of generic method supports different databases using very different syntax for creating or declaring temp tables while having a common need to specify brackets and column names which are frequently based on columns in a existing table. Using multi-selection pick list would be an improvement here,
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: