SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SSMS Keybindings

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SSMS Keybindings
hitesh

Post SSMS Keybindings Reply with quote
Hi There,

I like SA black theme, so I recently decided to switch myself from SSMS to SQLEditor. Since I am so much use to with SSMS shortcut keys like CTRL+R to toggle the result pane; F6 to switch between editor and result, CTRL+F5 to parse; F8 for object explorer. Is it possible to provide an option to set your own keybindings for such actions so that I feel at home when I use SQLEditor fulltime?
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi. the keyboard shortcuts for operations you referenced can be customized in the main Options dialog
Options dialog -> Targets -> SQL Assistant Code Editor -> Hot Keys

Generally there are three places where you can change various key bindings

1. Global for all supported add-ins and target development environments
Options dialog -> Targets -> Common -> Default Hot Keys

2. For a specific development environment
Options dialog -> Targets -> [target name here] -> Hot Keys

3. SQL Assistant development environment (a.k.a SQL Editor or SASE in short)
SASE -> Options menu -> Key Bindings
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:42 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Hi. the keyboard shortcuts for operations you referenced can be customized in the main Options dialog
Options dialog -> Targets -> SQL Assistant Code Editor -> Hot Keys

Generally there are three places where you can change various key bindings

1. Global for all supported add-ins and target development environments
Options dialog -> Targets -> Common -> Default Hot Keys

2. For a specific development environment
Options dialog -> Targets -> [target name here] -> Hot Keys

3. SQL Assistant development environment (a.k.a SQL Editor or SASE in short)
SASE -> Options menu -> Key Bindings

I have scanned thru all the menu items and also SA options (version 11.2.246) but could not find the option to toggle Result Pane or hotkey. All I found is Ctrl+Shift+R to close all windows but pressing the same keys again, which did not bring back the result pane. The only way one can bring back the result pane is to re-run the query. This is not user-friendly. Imagin the query which I ran before was time-consuming and it was 2-page in length so toggling is not possible to edit the code while I hide the result pane temporarily.

In SSMS, the user can press Ctrl+R to toggle the result pane or press F6 to switch between code editor and result pane. I am missing this user-friendly keyboard shortcut in SA,

Looking forward to seeing these options implement to toggle the result pane & also a shortcut to navigate between code editore and result pane in the next release.
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You are correct. Ctrl+Shift+R doesn't toggle, it closes all of them and immediately releases all memory allocated for the results.

If you need to keep some results open, you can right-click the tab at the bottom with the result you don't want to close, select Dock menu and choose Editor Right or Editor Left docking position. Ctrl+Shift+R won't close that tab, but will close everything at the bottom or floating. You can later move it to the bottom again if need to
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
You are correct. Ctrl+Shift+R doesn't toggle, it closes all of them and immediately releases all memory allocated for the results.

If you need to keep some results open, you can right-click the tab at the bottom with the result you don't want to close, select Dock menu and choose Editor Right or Editor Left docking position. Ctrl+Shift+R won't close that tab but will close everything at the bottom or floating. You can later move it to the bottom again if need to

Your suggestion sounds like an indirect way of pinning the desired result output. But doing so I am not gaining editor real estate for distraction-free coding.

My requirement is, I don't want to pin the result pane but I want to HIDE the result pane(s) temporarily to get more editor area for SQL development, and when I want to see the result I will simply toggle and SA will show all the existing results pane(s) back. In other words, add the new menu item "Show Result Pane" in the VIEW menubar of SQLEditor with a shortcut key that will toggle to "SHOW or HIDE" the result pane.
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:06 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
hitesh wrote:
SysOp wrote:

If you need to keep some results open, you can right-click the tab at the bottom with the result you don't want to close, select Dock menu and choose Editor Right or Editor Left docking position. Ctrl+Shift+R won't close that tab but will close everything at the bottom or floating. You can later move it to the bottom again if need to

Your suggestion sounds like an indirect way of pinning the desired result output. But doing so I am not gaining editor real estate for distraction-free coding.

My requirement is, I don't want to pin the result pane but I want to HIDE the result pane(s) temporarily to get more editor area for SQL development, and when I want to see the result I will simply toggle and SA will show all the existing results pane(s) back. In other words, add the new menu item "Show Result Pane" in the VIEW menubar of SQLEditor with a shortcut key that will toggle to "SHOW or HIDE" the result pane.

If you can provide the option to set a user-defined shortcut key to toggle (show/hide/show) the result pane then It will be like a homecoming when I use different text editors (e.g. SA SQLEditor, SSMS, Notepad++)
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:24 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That's something I'm also missing sometimes though it never reached my stimulus threshold. The problem with the method SysOp said is that it not only "hides" the result tab, it also drops the result data, so it is impossible to restore them to the result tab again. Whenever I really needed to keep one of those hard-to-get result sets, I either undock it and move to another display (which is not very useful when you only have one screen, but luckily I have two) or minimize its area by dragging the top of the results pane to the bottom. It still steals a little bit of the code editor area but that's the best that you can get (at least for now) with one screen.
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: