SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.5.362 Standard] Freeze Issues in SSMS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.5.362 Standard] Freeze Issues in SSMS
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
But won't that disable code folding for regions?

It will, but in this particular case it's better than periodic screen freezing, isn't it? The particular stored procedure impacted is 10K lines of code. Frequent code parsing after code changes using foreground thread is causing screen freezing in SSMS. In SASE that stuff is better optimized and running much faster, not creating the same issue. I see in ticket notes the proposed solution by developers is to move that process to a separate background thread. That''s something they are exploring for inclusion in 12.0
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
worze

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
The freezing issue is caused by script regions referenced in comments. Code formatting indirectly aborts internal code scanning operations which cause that temporary freezing effect. Our developers suggested replacing '#region' with '#_region' in the code, they say it should resolve the issue.

ATM I'm on 10.1.278 Std Edition and I have no issues related to freezes.
In our dev team we have thousands of different USPs and replacing regions isn't solution for us.

Another question to you: why Sql Assistant 10.x version dosen't cause such issues?

IMO: we need some update as SysOp discribed in another post.

As a temporary solution I'll stay on 10.1.278 version till this issue won't be fixed.
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:20 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Version 10.1 doesn't support some new features introduced in later versions and not busy with running these new functions. A lot of new things have been added between 10.1 and 11.5
Here is a list of significant changes between 10.1 and 11.5 https://www.softtreetech.com/sqlassist/whatsnew11.htm

The change that impacted you was actually introduced in 11.1, please see number 1 item in 11.1 release. It doesn't impact editing of all procedures, if I get it correctly it's an edge case scenario. The issue is expected to be resolved in 12.0, we are working on moving the function causing freezing effect to background, so that while it's running, the editor is alive and can be used. Unfortunately that function wasn't optimized for SSMS and no one reported it before you.
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
worze

Post Reply with quote
Hi there.
I've notices that you've released major v.12.

Have you fixed issue, what was described in this thread?
Thanks.
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:17 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Based on notes I found in the internal database the issue with SSMS and code regions has been resolved by moving regions scanning and processing thread to the background.
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
worze

Post Reply with quote
Today I've updated to v.12.0.181 and I can confirm that freeze issues have been disappeared.
Thank you.
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:39 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Great. Thank you very much for confirming.
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:44 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: