SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.5.354 Pro] - Q: Backup Postgres database

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.5.354 Pro] - Q: Backup Postgres database
gemisigo

Post [11.5.354 Pro] - Q: Backup Postgres database Reply with quote
After invoking the Backup Database dialog from the context menu of a database on a Postgres server, configuring the backup and triggering the backup I was greeted with and error message stating that

Quote:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SQL Assistant 11\bin64\PG\pg_dump.exe" --dbname my_blahblah_db --host mypgdb --port 5432 --no-password --format custom --blobs --verbose --file "T:\Tmp\my_blahblah_db_20210114_175221.backup"

pg_dump: error: connection to database "my_blahblah_db" failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "xyz"

The fact that xyz is my windows login, and that the pg_dump was called with the parameter --no-password obviously doomed this to fail. Is it intentional that the dialog does not have a method to provide a username and password? If so, is there a workound? It kinda defeats its own purpose.
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The purpose of --no-password is to disable interactive password prompt, not to skip it. User name and password are supposed to be passed via dynamically set PGUSER and PGPASSWORD environment variable in the started session. That's why you don't see password on the command line. Which method do you use to connect to the server from the SQL Editor? Using pqLib native driver or something else?
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
It seems that those environment variables are set to the wrong values then. I'm using the PostgreSQL Native Connection type with libpq.dll that came with SQL Assistant.
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's supposed to copy them from the properties in the connection dialog. Please give me a little while to get back, I have an idea for the root cause, which I need to verify with the team.
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
As far as I can tell it's an issue with handling connection, user vs username connection property which is causing the connection user name to be blank. We are looking into that.

If you need to run the backup command, please copy it from the output box in the backup dialog to the command line, and remove --no-password to allow pg_dump to prompt you interactively for user name and password.
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:20 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Thank you very much!
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have an update for this issue. This is a regression from some changes made earlier, related to upgrades in the connection drivers and the Connection dialog. It is caused by changes in the names of the connection parameters. We are testing a fix, which we hopefully can release in a few days.
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have a quick update. A fix for this issue and several other issues is expected by the end of this week.
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This issue too appears to be fixed in the latest 11.5.361 version.
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
It works, thank you very much!
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:19 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: