SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Locating an object in object explorer

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Locating an object in object explorer
rnan

Post Locating an object in object explorer Reply with quote
Say I have this query :

select name from MyTable

Is there any option to click MyTable in the query and that it will be located at the objects explorer ?
Fri May 17, 2019 6:58 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have a question. Why do you need to locate it? To see something? To change it? To preview data? Something else?
Fri May 17, 2019 7:31 am View user's profile Send private message
rnan

Post Reply with quote
So I can right click on it to modify ( or to design it)

For table : right click design
For sp : Right click modify
Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please try the following.
Ctrl+mouse over the table name (or any other type of object) in the editor, then in the hint window click the title, it's a hyperlink.
Alternatively, right click the table name in the editor and choose SQL Assistant -> Properties menu.

Please let me know if it works for you.
Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am View user's profile Send private message
rnan

Post Reply with quote
It doesn't take me to "design mode" of table ( I want to change the column type , so i must find it in the object explorer)

Sql assistant has so many features , but it lacks this feature.

I just want to tell you that both :
ssmsboost & ssms tools , has "locate object" in object explroer.

So if they both did it , then it is probably required feature.
I think you need to reconsider adding it.
Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's supposed to open SQL Assistant's Table Properties dialog without a need to jump to Object Navigator, expand, rick-click, click again. It does it right in place where you need to change it.

I assume you're running version 10.x. Database object management features were introduced in 10.0

Fri May 17, 2019 2:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
rnan

Post Reply with quote
I guess I should have version 10.

(which I dont)

But Still , I do not understand why does sql assistant write all these PROXIES for an already given feature by sql itself ?
Why do we need this screen^ of edit table propertes , whereas sql already gives it to us.All we need is to locate the object and then right click design.

What if sql will add another feature in the design window ?
we will have to wait for a version of sql assistant for exposing this feature in the "proxy screen"
insead of just quick find it in explorer.

I think im explianing something that is very simple.

SSMS doesnt gives us the ability to quick find an object by a cursor location.
it is a gap that needs to be resolved ( already resolved by others)

not to mention that when ive installed SA 10 , it did open the proxy screen for chovering a table
But did not do nothing when hovered on SP.
So ?
I wanted either to edit the sql , or find it in explorer.nothing.

For some reason , SA , seems to ignore this common sense.

it's like a mercedes benz car with no electric rear side mirror.

Can also consider adding "Locate in object explorer feature" , in a simple Function key ? ( not menu , a key)

Also , a "script object" will be great.
So if Im on an SP , then clicking F(something) , it will display the SP code in alter mode.
Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "proxies" If you mean why it provides it's own Table design dialog? I believe it's much more advanced than the one available out of the box. For example, you can use it to make all kinds of changes many of which SSMS doesn't support, like on-the-fly converting plain tables to partitioned tables and back without data loss, supporting memory optimized tables, row-level security, data-change tracking, that list is pretty long. And also because it's a multi-platform tool, supporting database design and management tools for most of the supported databases and the same interface is provided for all supported database, which should make it easier for users to manage them without being an expert in each database type.

If new versions of SQL Server or other supported DBMSes add new feature, we will work very hard to implement them.

Long story short, using the table design dialog available in SSMS, try to rearrange columns in an existing table, or change their data types. You are going to find out soon that you cannot do that. Try the same with the Table dialog available in SQL Assistant and check the generated code. Wish to tweak it before execution? You can do that right there right in the same dialog.
Cannot change production table during regular business hours? Not a problem too, you can schedule that change.

The above are just a few quick examples, there are many other use cases for which it provides the tools enabling you to do things that you cannot do in SSMS alone.
Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
rnan

Post Reply with quote
You know what ?

Just look at this : https://i.imgur.com/LYVjYq7.jpg

I give up
Sun May 19, 2019 3:02 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
My 2 cents, I think we are comparing apples to oranges. SQL Assistant is not like the other SSMS add-ons you are referencing. It's a complete graphical development environment (requires Professional Edition though for the complete experience), see screenshot here. It features it's own multi-platform database management interface supporting a bunch of different database management systems. That database management interface supports not just tables, it supports graphical management for many things from simple user-defined data types to complex Server Broker management, Resource Governor and pool management, for which there are no graphical interfaces available in most SSMS versions. Table designer is just one of these management features, it's not a substitute for SSMS version, it's a separate thing that can be used to make table design changes (as well as most other schema and no schema objects, and not just tables) right in place where the cursor is, without going anywhere else and without requiring additional operations.

SQL Assistant does provide an add-on for SSMS enabling seamless use of SQL Assistant functions from within SSMS, kind of expanding SSMS with new capabilities, which can be used with and without SSMS too. It can be used with SQL Editor, with Visual Studio, with Notepad++, and a number of other development environments too.

Aside from the above which is more of a description of the conceptual design, we would be happy to check feasibility of adding SSMS specific enhancement like the one you asked for, that would enable you with a click of a menu to locate the selected object name in SSMS Object Explorer like in the add-ons you referenced, and I would gladly submit it on your behave.
Sun May 19, 2019 2:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
rnan

Post Reply with quote
I'm a user. A heavy user who needs to navigate a lot .
This feature is needed for me.

Would you consider making a survey for this feature request?

Btw thanks for replying. It's not obvious.
But since im almost 5 years with softtree , i feel free to ask.
Sun May 19, 2019 2:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: