SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Suggestion: Excel like SUM on status bar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Suggestion: Excel like SUM on status bar
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Try this

Select several continuos cells and mouse over them.
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Try this

Select several continuos cells and mouse over them.

That does not do anything for me in 9.0.157

Edit: I Got it to work by click+drag over several columns and continuing to hold the mouse button but it's NOT consistent. Ctrl+clicking consecutive columns does not do it.
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
You can see a couple failures in there where the context popup never appears

http://screencast.com/t/Oirbmq5k
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
This looks promising. Though, as Mindflux mentioned, being able to handpick the needed columns with Ctrl+Click would be even better. Also, there's a (~10s?) timeout that removes the popup. I don't think that's necessary. It could be left there as long as the mouse button is held down.

EDIT:having to scroll down while selecting the columns will also remove the popup and it won't come back.
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There is certainly a lot of room for improvements. This is just an initial version.
Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
There is certainly a lot of room for improvements. This is just an initial version.

Sure, there is. Those were suggestions, not complaints.

Well, except maybe the EDIT one. That was a complaint :)
Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
his looks promising. Though, as Mindflux mentioned, being able to handpick the needed columns with Ctrl+Click would be even better. Also, there's a (~10s?) timeout that removes the popup. I don't think that's necessary. It could be left there as long as the mouse button is held down.

So I tested this, this morning. The popup does go away but if you release the mouse button and move your cursor within the highlighted cells it seems the popup returns.

See here: http://screencast.com/t/kf6g3jKT9a

EDIT: you don't even have to move the cursor, just release the mouse button after the popup drops off. It'll come back.
Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:

EDIT:having to scroll down while selecting the columns will also remove the popup and it won't come back.

I can also get this to work through some trickery.

Before you scroll down (using the mouse wheel) if you keep holding your mouse button and hover over the results tab and then go back to highlighting the popup seems to work (most of the time). I still think the popup has problems popping up now and then per my video above.

Here's a video of 'tricking' the popup to scroll:

http://screencast.com/t/t87E8YhXDn

Edit: turns out any loss of focus to the selected cells works. So if I highlight, scroll, highlight more and then move my cursor to the right (into empty space) and back to the cells it works, not just the results tab.

http://screencast.com/t/2N8AK8yR
Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:14 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
So I don't think we've talked about this any since the RTM version came out, but gemisigo's post about how the popup disappears after 10s or so doesn't appear to be the case any longer.

The ctrl+select non consecutive cells SUM option still does not work (though I'm not sure we were ever promised such a thing) but that would be nice down the road.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You are correct. The timing issue has been corrected, basically it is increased to avoid issues like that.

Quote:
ctrl+select non consecutive cells..

This is by design. Only consecutive cells in a row or column can be aggregated for statistics. I don't see any notes in the system indicating any changes in this area.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
[quote="SysOp"]You are correct. The timing issue has been corrected, basically it is increased to avoid issues like that.
SysOp wrote:
If I remove the mouse cursor from the selected area, the popup goes away, but returns with the cursor.

[quote="SysOp"]
This is by design. Only consecutive cells in a row or column can be aggregated for statistics. I don't see any notes in the system indicating any changes in this area.

Couldn't the selected cells be made into a table internally and aggregated on the fly? They'd make a set, just the way they do when they are selected consecutively.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Couldn't the selected cells be made into a table internally and aggregated on the fly? They'd make a set, just the way they do when they are selected consecutively.

I'm sure something can be done. I'm just saying I'm not seeing any follow up notes yet.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:42 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I'd vote this one to be a useful feature. Could you file a request for it, please?
Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
For non numeric columns can we get a popup that at least gives a count of how many rows are selected?

I found myself adding an numeric field to my queries for easy highlight and get a count via popup when confirming how many records would be updated in that particular instance (a subset of the entire returned results).
Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
For non numeric columns can we get a popup that at least gives a count of how many rows are selected?

Submitted new enhancement request #SA0030080
Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:07 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: