SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.162 Pro] Lockups searching in Database Explorer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.162 Pro] Lockups searching in Database Explorer
Mindflux

Post [SA 9.0.162 Pro] Lockups searching in Database Explorer Reply with quote
What exactly does this search? My live DB or the cache in Database Explorer?

I've had several searches just straight out lock up SQL Editor (64-bit) to where I've had to ctrl-alt-delete my way to recovery. Thankfully the document manager had a recent enough version of my ad-hoc query to not be too much of a nuisance.

If it doesn't manage to lock the editor up it does take what I feel like is an usually long time to filter the result set down.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux, would you mind checking if that also happens when updating FTS Code Repository?
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
Mindflux, would you mind checking if that also happens when updating FTS Code Repository?

I don't have a TFS repo.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Not TFS, FTS. That's the code repository SA uses for context sql search. You can reach it through menu, SQL Assistant > Search & Replace > Update FTS Code Repository. Sort of a local cache of every code on the server it has been updated to.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
Not TFS, FTS. That's the code repository SA uses for context sql search. You can reach it through menu, SQL Assistant > Search & Replace > Update FTS Code Repository. Sort of a local cache of every code on the server it has been updated to.

Oh sorry. When I go and run that it runs very quickly (549 objects have been updated).
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It filters the database explorer tree, not going to the database. That should work very fast for virtually any number of databases.

Can you please check if you can reproduce it in 32-bit version?
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
It filters the database explorer tree, not going to the database. That should work very fast for virtually any number of databases.

It's rather zippy now that I updated the FTS repository that gemisigo said to run. I wonder if there's something missing in the cache refresh that's not getting everything?
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
It's still slow when you back off a search result and type in another:

http://screencast.com/t/9AfRrJ8ra

It also seems to re-invoke a search when each letter is added or removed in some instances.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I

Same on 32 bit version. There's definitely some lag in there clearing the search field out or even adjusting the field via backspace or additional characters.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
The database has 206 tables, FYI. If I try it on a smaller database it goes much quicker in general.

I would expect the incremental search (when typing or removing a character) to be as smooth as the context popup when in the code window, but it's just not there..
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Here's a letter by letter search:

http://screencast.com/t/nh3e6n0s

I typed that out as fast as I normally would (I hover around 100 WPM).
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I tried it and achieved speed similar to yours. And found a much more serious issue at the same time. Besides being awfully slow, the filter actually did not work. Typing the first character (whatever it may be) will filter out everything at once (or, in this case, very slowly).
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
I tried it and achieved speed similar to yours. And found a much more serious issue at the same time. Besides being awfully slow, the filter actually did not work. Typing the first character (whatever it may be) will filter out everything at once (or, in this case, very slowly).

It's odd an FTS update sped things up (and so far has cured my lockups) but we're still slow in certain instances.

I'll also note when I open a new tab on the same database and go to,expand the dbo schema for the first time (per tab) is also quite slow. As if the cache doesn't persist across tabs.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Would you please describe steps to reproduce the issue?

To the best of knowledge there is not tie up to Context search (FTS repository if you wish), the features are supposed to be unrelated. The first one is a fairy simple filter in a tree, while the other is a full text search FTS in the repository database file with sophisticated ranking and such. On my workstation I can type filter in Database Explorer as fast as I can and the results of the filtering can be seen instantly. I deleted FTS repository and it didn't make any difference on performance.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Would you please describe steps to reproduce the issue?

To the best of knowledge there is not tie up to Context search (FTS repository if you wish), the features are supposed to be unrelated. The first one is a fairy simple filter in a tree, while the other is a full text search FTS in the repository database file with sophisticated ranking and such. On my workstation I can type filter in Database Explorer as fast as I can and the results of the filtering can be seen instantly. I deleted FTS repository and it didn't make any difference on performance.

I'm not sure how to replicate. It was slow and locking up before I did gem's recommendation to update the FTS repository which went very fast. After that my database explorer search hasn't locked up but typing a search and then backing it out and re-searching yields something that FEELS like it's triggering the search after every character entered. There is a severe lag in the typing of the search keyword and a moderate lag finding items with those words or letters AFTER I stop typing.

Also clearing the search keyword all together doesn't just snap the full tree back right away. It has to think on it a second or two. It's very much the opposite of the table/column picker which has always been incredibly fast (real time).

How do you delete the FTS repo? I'll do that tomorrow and see if my lockups return.
Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: