SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Editor config

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Editor config
Kristen

Post SQL Editor config Reply with quote
I'm running a trial version and I would like to try to configure it similar to MS SQL's old Query Analyser, which is what I am intending to replace (and with which I am very familiar, and have developed a working style that suits me)

I tend to work with only 3 overlapping MDI windows. A main working window on the right, a JUNK window on the left, and an unsaved Scratchpad which I toggle to when-needed

As the day progresses and I am asked to "just look at something" on a different server / whatever I may open another Window and position it on the right, same size and overlapping as my earlier window so that I can just jump to-and-fro between my main project's window and whatever my colleagues is ask for further help with. I may close the other-server window, although it tens to stay open (assuming that my colleague will want further help ...)

I may also open additional windows when I need to edit multiple files concurrently, to complete a piece of DEV work or debug something. I tend to then close all-but-the-main-window.

So in Query Analyser I have:

An option to Create a New Window ("On demand")

File open will open a file in the current window. If the content in the current window has changed I get an alert to "Save changes" before the new file opens (and "Abandon changes" option, allowing me to abort the File Open, would be fine)

Currently when I open a new file in SQL Editor I get a new window, and it takes up the whole screen (I'd prefer a new window size of around half the width, to save me having to resize it. A configurable size would be even better - e.g. same-as-last-time or exactly sized to XXXpx x YYYpx).

I then have to close the Database Explorer pane and Restore Down the window, and then I can resize and move it. I haven't been able to find a way to open a file in the CURRENT window (rather than opening a new window each time)

Is there a way I can configure SQL Editor to more closely resemble what I am after?

Thanks
Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Are you aware that SQL Assistant supports Query Analyzer directly? I mean, it integrates with it and all SQL Assistant's functions can be invoked directly from Query Analyzer using hot keys or context menus. It can also insert graphical views directly into Query Analyzer windows, also supports SQL intellisense, visual bookmarks, hot-track, and all other coding enactments available.

Having said that, you can get close to what you want if you use SQL Assistant's Code Editor. In its Windows menu, you can enable the MDI interface, then open as many windows as needed and resize and position them as needed. But there is no configurable size, you would need to do it every time you open the editor.
Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:07 am View user's profile Send private message
Kristen

Post Reply with quote
My understanding is that Query Analyser will not work when I upgrade to Windows 10 ... hence looking for a complete replacement.

Quote:
you can get close to what you want if you use SQL Assistant's Code Editor

I presume that is "SQL Editor" in the "SQL Assistant" section under Start / Programs?

If I click on "SQL Assistant" in that program-group nothing seems to happen (I initially expected some sort of Code Editor to open). I just want to make sure I'm using the right thing and don't have a basic Install/Config problem :)

If so then I have tried using MDI and each file opens in a new window that is maximised. is that right?, or is there a setting that would open the window Restored-Down and NOT also including an Explorer Left Pane (which I have to close, along with Restore-Down and Resize)

The other thing that I would make a transition from QA easy is for File Open to reuse the current MDI window, not open another one. i.e. my QA style of working is to open N-windows and then position those as I want (some may be minimised at times) and then reuse those windows as I open different files.

Is something like that possible?

Thanks for your help.
Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:45 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
SQL Assistant is (should be) running as a system tray application, there is (should be) a red SQL icon. Please right-click that icon, and then from the popup menu select SQL Editor. This will open SQL Editor development environment.

After you enable MDI interface, click the Window menu one more time and choose either Tile Vertically or Tile Horizontally, just to change window states from maximized to something else. You can resize them after that. Yes, each File/Open operation opens new MDI sheet window, you can discard unneeded windows at any time, but you cannot open a file in the existing window already associated with a file or unnamed document and reuse it. "window = document" - that's the way it works. Moreover, it tracks historical windows and documents too, so that they can be reopened in the state they were closed, with the same database connection, bookmarks, cursor position, etc.., they can searched, their code changes and versions monitored, etc.. See SQL Assistant -> Recent Documents menu in the editor.

The state of the new window depends on the state of already opened MDI windows. If open windows are maximized, then the new window is maximized too. Minimized windows appear at the bottom of the MDI frame window just like in the QA. All that is standard behavior of MDI interfaces (multi-document interface).

I hope this helps.
Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Kristen

Post Reply with quote
Thanks. I found SQL Assistant in the tray, as you predicted. I should worked out for myself when "nothing happened" when I launched it that that was where it had gone, sorry about that!

Thanks for your explanation of the mechanics of MDI window operations. I've grown very used to "how I do it", and changing is a big issue (I have styled code, and filenames, around the way things work in QA, and the order that filenames come up in Windows, appear in window Titles, status bars, Alt-WINDOW lists and so on, and its a big change to move away from that).

I tried the steps that you described and using TILE makes a big difference. However, each file that I open creates a window that is maximised. If I restore-down it is then a very reasonably sized menu, but I couldn't find a way to get a file to open "restored-down" rather than maximised.

I also get the Explorer in every new window, and it would help if I could CONFIG that to NOT appear in each new window by default.

Every time I try to use SSMS I find the whole "mechanics" of how its TAB'd interface works results in a huge loss of efficiency for me (not just from lack of familiarity with it). I expect that 90% of MS SQL coders have only ever used SSMS and of the rest 90% of them will be moving from SSMS and would find SQL Editor very "familiar". I'm not in either of those data sets I'm afraid!

SSMS does attempt to reuse windows, when I set it in MDI mode, but it has very peculiar behaviour. The only option I have found that is close to what I want is "Reuse current document if saved" where "saved" is synonymous with "unchanged". (Options : Environment : Documents)

Trouble is that if the document is changed the File Open created a new TAB (without any "Are you sure" message), and that new TAB is behind all the MDI Windows, so I have to drag the tab off the Tab-bar and resize it etc. And if I just do New Window, to try to get another, empty, window (which I can then open a file in) SSMS closes the current ("Saved") document and opens a new window instead :(

I also lose the RESULTS in a window if I open another file in the current document-window - which for me is useless. (Same problem, of course, if File Open creates a new document window - my previous results are now in the "other window's results pane"). Scenario: I am debugging a procedure. I run some UNIT TEST code (in a comment at the bottom of my source file) and it becomes apparent that a child procedure is causing the problem. This is the point at which I want to open the second file in the current window, retaining the results, so I can carry on looking at Results and Code to continue my DEV work. I'm open to suggestions for how I might do this better/differently in SQL Editor.
Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you want DB Explorer view not to open in every window, you can click the little pin icon (unpin) in the right top corner of the view and then close the view. The explorer will then appear in new windows only when you open it manually.

In my humble opinion the greatest efficiency and productivity gains come from the advanced SQL intellisense provided by SQL Assistant coupled by a large collection of tools bundled with the solution that will change the way you work with your database. Nothing what like you have used to do in QA. I do realize you are used to what you were doing for years and find it convenient, but at some point the technology changes drastically and it might be a good time to move on and adapt to the new one. We are all in the same boat. I've used QA for years too and it took me a while to adapt to SSMS and then to SA's SQL Editor, and personally I don't want to go back. I think I can do a lot more with the new technology and lot more efficiently as compared to the past. I which it works for you too. Please give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if you can do more and work faster with the new tools. At the very minimum, please try coding a few complex SQL queries, perhaps code a stored procedure or something, try opening query results in Excel via right-click Open in Excel menu, and so on... It's a totally different experience. Nothing like old good QA.

By the way, SQL Assistant supports SSMS too.
Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:51 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: