SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Again about connection with SQL Management Studio

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Again about connection with SQL Management Studio
ssandu

Post Again about connection with SQL Management Studio Reply with quote
I've installed Sql Assistant on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with Sql Server 2008 R2 machine using Run As Administrator.
Now when I want to see options from Sql Assistant menu I have only Options and About.
I've tried all possible connections.
When I want to make a SELECT I get master tables even it's selected another database.
What I'm doing wrong ?
Thank's

Sorin
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
This could be some sort of security or user/file virtualization issue. We're guessing it can't find some things in the registry set during installation or can't read previously saved configuration files.

Please try restarting the system, then reinstall SA in "Run as Administrator" mode and see if anything's different.

If not, can you give me a few screen shots showing what you're seeing?

Thanks,
Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:26 am View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
Hi
I've done as you said.
Still I see first tables from Master
I've attached some screenshots.

The second image happens only if I change the target AutoConnection option. Anything I select it happens.

Also SqlAssistant menu option appears only if I select Database folder from SSMS object explorer (but only with Options and About menus).
Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
happens only if I change the target AutoConnection option

Thank you for the detailed info. It is now clear what is going on. Your description of the issue indicates that SQL Assistant is unable to share database connection with SSMS.

Please take a look at Troubleshooting shared connections in SQL Management Studio topic. And that's also the reason for incorrect database content. When you change the context, SQL Assistant is not following your change.

Lastly, you are running one of the older versions. The newest versions have some additional improvements for handling security related issues. Looking at the screen shot of the Options dialog, I see that the Apply button with a Windows Security logo is missing, some other security related elements are missing too.
Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 am View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
Hi again
Same result
I am on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and I run SSMS as administrator.
Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:12 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you've got license maintenance option available for your license, please try upgrading to version 5.2
Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Sorry for being off but is there a changelog somewhere?
Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:08 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There will be one posted later today. Our web sites are still being updated.
Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
Even with 5.2 I have the same simptomps.
What should I check ?
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please check the following

1. Check that SSMS is configured to use ADO.NET connections, not ODBC (see Options button Connection Properties tab, Network Protocol value on Connect dialog)

2. Check when you restart SQL Assistant, and open Options, expand Advanced options for MS SQL Studio target, the Register SQL Assistant Add-on option is set to Yes.

3. If 1 and 2 are ok. Open SSMS. Change the database context to some non-system database. In the editor type SELECT db_name(). Execute that code using F5. Execute that code using Ctrl+F9. The results should be the same. If they are not, there is some kind of security issue preventing SQL Assistant from picking SSMS connection to the database and causing it to open its own independent connection.
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
Hi again
I've done as you said but still same thing
If I change the SQL Assistant Auto connection to anything (just change it) it appears the whole SqlAssistant menu.
But in query still system objects first.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Would you please comment on the results of the test described in #3?

Quote:
3. If 1 and 2 are ok. Open SSMS. Change the database context to some non-system database. In the editor type SELECT db_name(). Execute that code using F5. Execute that code using Ctrl+F9. The results should be the same. If they are not, there is some kind of security issue preventing SQL Assistant from picking SSMS connection to the database and causing it to open its own independent connection.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
Yes the results are the same
But this :
1. Check that SSMS is configured to use ADO.NET connections, not ODBC (see Options button Connection Properties tab, Network Protocol value on Connect dialog)
I don't have theese options (SQL Server 2008 R2)
Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
One of our developers had a look at your screenshots yesterday and he says that what you see is what you actually have in your AdventureWorks database. The tables you see aren't from the master database. You are logged in as sa user and your default schema is dbo. Tables from dbo appear at the top of the object list. In AdventureWorks all samples tables are "hidden" in other schemas, Sales, Production, etc... Please expand these schema levels, or just type "Sales." and you will find the stuff you think is missing.
Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: