SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SAS support

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SAS support
andrijz

Post SAS support Reply with quote
Hi all!

Recently I started to work with SAS software and feel big pain not having SQL assistant there :(
Is there any possibility to add SAS datasets support for SQL assistant?

Thanks,
Andriy
Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi Andriy,

I feel your pain. Unfortunately demand for SAS support is very low in this community and I personally don't think support for SAS will be added anytime soon. But, I have a tip that can help you to workaround SAS support.
Try creating several custom views in SAS, somewhat compatible with data catalog system tables or views of another database of your choice, and then adding a set of queries to SQL Assistant options in DB Options -> DB Queries section to work with these views. You can then add a new assistance type, let's call it "SAS" and link new queries to that assistance. Set this new assistance behavior to the database type you have chosen for catalog compatibility. In SQL Assistant options add new ODBC or ADO.NET connection for your SAS database and set the database type of that connection to the compatible database. After that you should be able to work with SAS database as if it was a database of your choice. Note that the set of view you need to create are the views referenced in SQL Assistant options in DB Options -> DB Queries section.

The key to success here is to make custom catalog views to return compatible values. If you decide to try that approach, please feel free to ask for help in this support forum.
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am View user's profile Send private message
andrijz

Post Reply with quote
Hi!

Thanks for the advice. Very interesting. I definetely will try to implement this approach. But first I'd like to try another:
1) Create scheme and tables in, let's say, MSSQLServer like I have in SAS
2) Create a "Registered Target" SAS with appropriate advanced options to integrate sql assistant into sas base software.

My first attemption failed :(
I've set target exe name as sas.exe and target window class as AfxFrameOrView80u(grabbed by WinID application) but nothing has been changed.
Could you give a hint how to troubleshoot this kind of things?

Thanks in advance,
Andriy
Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

What do you get when you press Ctrl+Shift+F5 in the target SAS editor?
Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
andrijz

Post Reply with quote
Hi!

I have SQL Assistant - Warning: "Unsupported window class (AfxFrameOrView42)"

/AfxFrameOrView42 is another version of sas base environment I tried to integrate /
Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This message means that SQL Assistant is unable to "communicate" with the target window because the window doesn't respond to standard Windows edit control messages and events.

Is that really an edit window? I mean, did you place the cursor into an edit control on that window? The class name "AfxFrameOrView80u" sounds like it is a frame window, not an edit window.
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
andrijz

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunately it is so. Being in the window where I write the code I call ctrl + shift + f5 and have this error message.
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:15 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm sorry, they couldn't be used together.
Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: