SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Assistance in Sybase ASA Interactive SQL

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Assistance in Sybase ASA Interactive SQL
a.sahan

Post SQL Assistance in Sybase ASA Interactive SQL Reply with quote
Hi,

I would like to use Sql Assistant Intellisense with Sybase ASA v9 Interactive SQL. I made some attempts with adding and changing some configuration options but all failed. Could you show me the exact way or pinpoints to resolve it?
Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

It will not work with ASA's ISQL. ISQL is a Java based program not featuring normal windows and edit controls and events supported by native Windows applications, It is all Java-based custom screen painting making it to look like windows and edit controls while they are not.

To work with ASA you can use Notepad or try some other decent SQL editor. ISQL shipped with ASA just won't do it for you. In case if you pick Notepad, don't forget to enable this target in SQL Assistant's options and set the database and assistance type to ASA. I am using it this way myself and Notepad + SQL Assistant really beat ISQL in turms of easy of use, usability, speed, and functionality.

Last edited by SysOp on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
a.sahan

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I guess that there is no version of Sql Assistant that is compatible with Java based programs such as ISQL. Is that right?
Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You are correct. It cannot be used with native Java applications. Well…that's the price for using pure Java, there is no room for the kind of inter-process communication used by SQL Assistant to integrate with native Windows applications.

Have you had a chance to try Notepad + SQL Assistant or UltraEdit + SQL Assistant or Eclipse + SQL Assistant? If yes, are you still sticking with ISQL for ASA? If you haven't tried yet, please give them a try.

The below is just my 2 cents opinion, I personally don't think that any professional developer or DBA can seriously consider ISQL version shipped with ASA as a tool appropriate for database development or management. Again, this is just my personal opinion. Other people might have other preferences.

Cheers,
Dev
Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: