SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Code Snippets problems

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Code Snippets problems
ChrisRickard

Post Code Snippets problems Reply with quote
I've been having trouble with various aspects of the Code Snippets feature. First my background
SQL Assist v 2.5.11
Windows Vista (UAC disabled)
Clients: Query Analyzer (2000 SP4) and SSMS (2005 SP2)

The problems:
I can't get custom code snippets to work. I created a new Code Snippet as follows

Name: ssf
Key Char: Ctrl Enter
Case Sensitive:False
Text
SELECT *
FROM

But I can't get it to work. I tried suspending/resume, exiting the tray app and relaunching, exiting the client apps and relaunching, and all combinations of these actions :) to no avail.

Next I can't seem to edit the built in Snippets, that is to say I can edit them but the changes don't get picked up in usage. Combined with the previous problem it seems as though the SQL Assist engine is using a different Snippet list than the GUI.

Sometimes Snippets don't work at all. I can't say I've found any exact steps to reproduce, but I've found that switching to a different app then switching back fixes this.
Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:25 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Do I get it correctly, that it works in the beginning, but then at some point it stops working? and that's why you try suspend/resume attempting to get it working again?

Does restarting the editor help?
Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Do I get it correctly, that it works in the beginning, but then at some point it stops working? and that's why you try suspend/resume attempting to get it working again?

Does restarting the editor help?

I've never gotten any of the Custom Snippets (the ones I created, or the built in ones I've modified) to work. Restarting the editor does not help.
Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:51 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I am able to reproduce this issue on Vista Business. I will ask developers to investigate it and find the reason. I will get back to you as soon I get a resolution for it.
Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
Thanks!
Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please upgrade to version 2.5.12. This version should take care of code snippets on Vista and some other Vista specific quirks.

Last edited by SysOp on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:09 am View user's profile Send private message
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
Same behavior with 2.5.12
Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:51 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
I also tried it on XP Pro SP2 (SQL Assistant v2.5.12) and the same thing happened
Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Works for me.

Are you sure you are using/entering snippets for the right target environment, in other word defined for the right SQL dialect? Please note that on the "Code Formatting" tab in SQL Assistant options different snippets are defined for different SQL dialects. To enter new or modify existing snippets you should first choose the dialect in the list in the left-top corner of the screen.

In case if you are trying to use a valid snippet, please verify and let us know if it doesn't work for you in just one specific editor or all of them.

Just in case... to add new dialect, right-click on the SQL dialect names list, to add new snippet, right click on the snippet names list; choose Add command from the popup menu.
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
ChrisRickard

Post Reply with quote
D'oh! That was it, I didn't realize each dialect had their own set. Thanks for the help. I tried it both on XP and Vista and they both worked.
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: