SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Pop-up issues with SSMS

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Pop-up issues with SSMS
msorens

Post Pop-up issues with SSMS Reply with quote
I am a brand new user. I have used SqlPrompt in the past, but I have a new box and decided to try your beta software instead as I am now using both SQLServer and Oracle and you support both, which is quite nice!
So my first simple test was to fire up SqlServer Mgmt Studio Express, create a new database (testDB) and a table (names) and see what happens. Well, I tried
(1) SELECT * FROM
(2) SELECT * FROM testDB.
(3) SELECT * FROM nam
(4) SELECT * FROM names WHERE

**ISSUE #1**
I did not get any response at all until I rebooted, though your installer gave no indication this was needed.

**ISSUE #2**
Only in item (2) above did I get an auto-pop-up, and the choices were peculiar: guest, INFORMATION_SCHEMA, and sys. Nowhere could I find my table testDB.dbo.names.

**ISSUE #3**
Further, if I press ESC to close the pop-up, then CTRL-SPACE, I *do* not get the pop-up back. I have to BKSP, then "." again to get the pop-up.

**ISSUE #4**
In items (1), (3), and (4) I do not get pop-ups automatically, and I do not even get pop-ups with Ctrl-Space.

Perhaps I am missing something, but that is how I thought I should be getting pop-ups.

Things that worked:
--keywords are uppercased automatically.
--CTRL-F1 opens the reference, which looks quite nice.

~~Michael Sorens
http://cleancode.sourceforge.net/
Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
msorens

Post Reply with quote
Sorry forgot to provide system details:
SqlAssistant v 1.0.64 beta

Also, I just tried installing on another machine, this time using Query Analyzer, and the results were the same. Am I doing something wrong...?
Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

For performance reasons, SQL Assistant maintains internal cache of database objects and connections. If you create a table or some object please don't expect that it immediately appear in the list. It will only appear if you reconnect to the database. If you want to force immediate cache refresh you can right-click on the popup and from the context menu select Refresh.

The reboot is not really required. My guess you didn't select the option to start SQL Assistant after installation but selected the other option to add SQL Assistant to the Start Up menu. That's it why id didn't work until you restarted your computer and suddenly started working after that. You can monitor SQL Assistant state its the icon in the Windows system tray. If the icon is not there then SQL Assistant is not running.

Now, the popups appear automatically when SQL Assistant is able 1) to pull the catalog information from the database catalog tables (you have permissions for catalog tables) and 2) the text in editor is either empty or makes sense and SQL Assistant is able to parse and understand it. In the latest case if you enter something it cannot understand, it will not annoy you with meaningless popups listing every object available in the database. The goal of SQL Assistant is to provide context sensitive help, which can help with typing and improve your productivity

Hope these little tips help.
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
msorens

Post Reply with quote
I am afraid that all of your comments, though reasonable, are incorrect.

I restarted SSMS after creating my table, hence it had reconnected.
The DB *was* apparently recognized in (2) but SA gave non-meaningful data, as I indicated.
BTW, my second test (on another machine) was with an existing table, not a newly created table.

I had started SQL assistant and the icon was present, hence the reboot was required. This is not of interest to me; but you might find the piece of info useful.

For my test cases (1), (3), and (4), it almost sounds like you are saying those should not have pop-ups?? That does not make any sense to me. So give me a specific case where I should see a pop-up.
Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
(1) SELECT * FROM

The popup should automatically appear after FROM[space]. Please make sure you hit space bar after the FROM keyword.

Quote:
(2) SELECT * FROM testDB.

The popup should automatically appear after dot if testDB is a valid name. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the connection (SQL Assistant connection, not SSMS). If this is the case please verify connection settings in SQL Assistant options.

Quote:
(3) SELECT * FROM nam

The popup will not appear here, unless you type comma after "nam"

Quote:
(4) SELECT * FROM names WHERE

The popup should automatically appear after WHERE[space]. Please make sure you hit space bar after the WHERE keyword.
Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Addition to the last case (4). Of course the "names" must be a valid table or view name in your schema in order for SQL Assistant to recognize it and help you with the column list.
Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
msorens

Post Reply with quote
We are in complete agreement as to what should happen. Regrettably, as I have already indicated, it does not. I hope the information I have provided is of use; I may not be able to check both with this forum for some time.
Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I sent this issue to developers and asked them to review
Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:30 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I was told that this behavior could be caused by an issue in the default "Schemas" query in SQL Assistant options. The SQL for default queries was updated in recent releases and it should now work fine for you. Please feel free to upgrade to 1.0.68 or a later version.
Before you run the upgrade make sure to delete C:\Program Files\SQL Assistant\data\SqlAssist.cfg so the installer can update it with a more recent version.
Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:37 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: