SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[12.4.476 Pro] - SSMS Opens Dozens of Query Windows

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[12.4.476 Pro] - SSMS Opens Dozens of Query Windows
jerichoj

Post [12.4.476 Pro] - SSMS Opens Dozens of Query Windows Reply with quote
Hello,

I have been using SA Pro for more than a decade and have recently run into a problem that appears to be due to SA.

This is occurring with SA Pro 12.4.476, and had started occurring with 12.4.474. And is happening under both:

SSMS 18.12.1
SSMS 19.3.4

I always close all document windows before closing SSMS. Recently, SA started prompting me out of the blue on startup of SSMS to restore some windows from 4 months ago. I would uncheck the boxes and click the Close button and it would not open those windows, but every time I would open SSMS I would get prompted.

So, I went into the SA Options, Targets, SSMS, Document Manager, and set [Prompt to Restore Tabs on Startup] to NONE. After this, whenever I opened SSMS, after connecting to a database, SSMS without prompting would suddenly open 5 blank query windows. That was annoying, but tolerable, and I didn't initially connect the dots to it being related to SA.

At that point, I updated SSMS 19 from 19.2 to 19.3, assuming that it was a SSMS issue. The issue wasn't fixed, so I updated SA from 12.4.474 to 12.4.476 and the issue got WORSE.

Now, when I open SSMS and connect to a database, approximately 141 query windows are opened all by themselves, all of them blank.

If, when I open SSMS, I choose NOT to connect to a database, by clicking the [Cancel] button on the [Connect to Server] dialog, one query window opens, and then I get the [Connect to Database Engine] dialog, that I believe is instigated by SA, asking me to connect to a database engine. If I click [Cancel], it continually opens one more query window and then prompts me again to connect, over and over as long as I click [Cancel]. If I click [Connect], it proceeds to open dozens of query windows.

Further, I have determined that if I change the SA [Prompt to Restore Tabs on Startup] setting back to [DIALOG], the behavior of SSMS opening dozens of query windows no longer happens.

This behavior is reproduceable in SSMS 18 and 19 on my system. I tried uninstalled SA, rebooting and starting SSMS, no problems. I don't get dozens of query windows. I reinstalled SA and the problem comes back as described. Only setting the [Prompt to Restore Tabs on Startup] setting back to [DIALOG] prevents dozens of query windows from being opened, but continues to prompt me to restore very old sessions each time I start SSMS.

I had to delete the contents of my SA [History] folder to get it to stop asking me to restore any windows.

I hope this gives you enough information to diagnose SA and come up with a solution.

Thanks,

Jericho
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
JerichoJohnson

Post Reply with quote
Upon further use and testing, it turns out that the many query windows opened corresponds directly to the number of files (documents) in my SQ History folder.

I had cleared my History folder yesterday and worked in SSMS all day. SA tracked my work and created files in the History folder. Today when I opened SSMS, SA opened every one of those files, some of which were blank.

I used the [Recent Documents] feature in SA to manually remove each and every history document (you really need to add a [Delete ALL] feature, or a multi-select capability to highlight and delete multiple items at once).

I then closed and reopened SSMS and no query windows were opened. As a last resort to prevent this behavior, I have set the [Document Manager], [Active] option to NO until such time as the issue is fixed.

I hope this additional information helps you diagnose it.

Thanks,

Jericho
Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: