SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[12.0.191 Pro] SSMS 18.10 on Windows 11 freeze on startup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[12.0.191 Pro] SSMS 18.10 on Windows 11 freeze on startup
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please upgrade to 12.3.431 and see if that helps
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
Frankie

Post Reply with quote
Hello,
Unfortunately, the update to 12.3.431 doesn't help.
For me, the problem can also be reproduced if I make an other screen to the main screen. Than the Start of SSMS will freeze. Switch main screen back to my Laptop screen and all works fine.

Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Do I understand correctly that you have 3 monitors? Depending on which monitor you have SSMS shown, it may or may not freeze on startup?
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Frankie

Post Reply with quote
I have different screen configuration.
In my home office:
I have 3 screens. My laptop screen and 2 other screens on the right. I only use the two other screens there - my laptop screen is normally off.

In the office:
I have 2 screens. My laptop screen and 1 other screen on the left. I use both screens there.

Hopefully this helps to find the problem.
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:52 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Can you please elaborate a bit more on "...the problem can also be reproduced if I make an other screen to the main screen." ?

I'm trying to fill in the blanks, please correct me if I get it wrong. The laptop is the same. Perhaps you plug your laptop to a docking station at home, and when you are in the office, you plug it to a docking station in the office. In the office case your laptop screen is the main screen - monitor #1 and the other screen is monitor #2. But that changes, when you are in your home office.

When and where can you reproduce the issue? When the main monitor changes from external to laptop, or the other way? Are you able to reproduce it on demand, by simply switching the monitors and restarting SSMS? SQL Assistant "remembers" the screens for its dialogs, if you move a dialog to another screen, it attempts to show it on the same screen next time you open it. So if the monitors switch and one of them isn't used, or blank, maybe, just maybe the modal Restore Tabs dialog on startup appears on the wrong screen, which you can't see, and it blocks SSMS from loading. You can try disabling the Document Manager feature to test my theory.
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:58 am View user's profile Send private message
Frankie

Post Reply with quote
Hello,
I'll try to describe it a little better.

Basically, if my laptop (screen 1) is the main screen (setting under System/Screen), then everything works - no matter how many additional screens are connected and in use.
If I switch the "Use this display as main screen" switch to another screen (see picture of my post on Sep 26) or I deactivate screen 1 (laptop), the SMSS no longer starts. In the case where I turn off screen 1 (laptop), Windows obviously has to make another screen the main screen.
I have the Document Manager disabled, but the problem still occurs.
I hope you can recreate the problem.
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. Now it's clear. We will try to reproduce this issue
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:03 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
One more question. When it freezes, have you tried pressing Esc key or Alt+F4 in case there is some invisible dialog hiding on inactive screen?
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:25 am View user's profile Send private message
Frankie

Post Reply with quote
Esc key has no effect and Alt+F4 brings a popup "Smss does not react... program close?"
I have also checked all open windows with a little tool called "windows out of screen". This shows all windows with his coordinates. I haven't found any window that is outside the screen.
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. Let's assume it's not a dialog waiting for an input.
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We are still unable to reproduce it.

When you experience it again, please delete "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\Extensions\SqlAssistant\" folder and let us know if that helps. That will disable loading of COM add-ons, which are loaded first, but MEF based add-ons with late binding should continue working. The expectation that no SQL Assistant code will loaded on startup, and will cripple Document Manager and Object Explorer add-ons only. This is not a solution of course, it's a step to pinpoint the root cause.

Please also check our emails. We would like to see your SQL Assistant log file, it may have important information that can help us with the troubleshooting the issue.
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:13 am View user's profile Send private message
Frankie

Post Reply with quote
After deleting that "...IDE\Extensions\SqlAssistant\" folder the SMSS still crashs on start.

Also... to reproduce it you can test to change the "custom scaling" for the mainscreen in preferences of System/screen. Change it from 100% to 125% scaling or back.
This will switch automatic by windows when I connected an other monitor on my laptop.
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:37 am View user's profile Send private message
PosBr3n2084

Post Reply with quote
I have the same problem with SQL assistant 12.4.474 and SQL Server Management Studio 19.1.56.0

The cause seems to be the same as Frankies. I have two monitors connected via dockingstation (Dell WD19S Dock 130 W).
The laptop-screen is disconnected in the windows screen settings. With this setup, SSMS freezes on startup. When I disconnect my laptop from the docking station, start SSMS, it's working fine. After the start of SSMS I can then connect to the docking station again and SSMS will work fine with both monitors.
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:11 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Was that an issue in previous versions before 12.3?
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:10 am View user's profile Send private message
Zviad

Post [11.5.362 Pro] SSMS 18.12.1 on Windows 11 freeze on startup Reply with quote
I have exactly the same problem but with a previous version - SqlAssistant Pro 11.5.362 on Windows 11 Pro x64 machine (Dell Inspiron 15 3520 intel i5 12th Generation Processor 16GB RAM 1 TB SSD). I don't use any external screens - only my laptop screen and the problem popped up all of the sudden yesterday after Windows updated its Windows Defender software. According to the logs SSMS loads a lot of different packages during startup and some of them are failing (not SqlAssistant package by the way). So, I guess problem roots in Windows itself not in SqlAssistant or any other third-party software.
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: