SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.2.246 Pro] - FR: Server Alerts and Scheduled Jobs

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.2.246 Pro] - FR: Server Alerts and Scheduled Jobs
gemisigo

Post [11.2.246 Pro] - FR: Server Alerts and Scheduled Jobs Reply with quote
The ability to check/modify SQL Servera Agent jobs from SQL Editor (or rather a window opened from there) is something I've been waiting for, well, for a very long time, so thank you very much. I'm also going to complain a bit about its implementation.

#1. It has an edit box for searching for jobs by name. Searching is great as it is much easier to use than the filter SSMS has. On the other hand, practice shows that for certain structures (eg. trees) Filters tend to be more effective than search, regarding the way the results are shown. I think this applies here as well. The filter in SQL Server Management Studio is sophisticated and allows filtering on stuff I've never used and probably never will. But filtering on a simple fragment of a name is a user experience nightmare. It requires many clicks for simple changes. And then rinse and repeat. Unusable. The search editbox in SASJ is better. But it would be much better if it was a filter instead of a plain search. Of course, that might only be my opinion, so I'd like to ask you to look into the possibility of changing it into a filter instead.

#2. Microsoft has the habit to create windows/panes that have a fixed dimension and cannot be resized. For example, I'm longing for a chance to have a (short and violently ending) conversation with the people who thought that showing Advanced settings for Power Options in a fixed-size (404 x 442) windows (or more appropriately, a slit), that contains a non-resisable nano-treeview (352 x 195) would be a good idea. To make it even worse, doing that on a 1920 x 1080 display. It is ridiculous. The window for SASJ is much larger, so this one too is just about personal preference, but it still cannot be resized. Is there a reason you made that window that way?
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:07 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your input. I'm going to submit an enhancement request for the job filter feature.

The dialog window size is a feature of the framework that was used to build the SQL Agent and similar dialogs. At the moment, they all have predefined size. There is a task on the roadmap to make them resizable. It's supposed to be implemented in the next version.
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: