SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA.9.5.469][MySQL] How to connect Notepad++ to MySQL DB?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA.9.5.469][MySQL] How to connect Notepad++ to MySQL DB?
friday13

Post [SA.9.5.469][MySQL] How to connect Notepad++ to MySQL DB? Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm trying to connect using Notepad++ to MySQL DB, but I keep receiving errors, no matter which connection type I'm choosing (ODBC/ADO.NET).
In DB Type I chose "MySql 5".
I do not know what the DSN/Driver should be, but the default was "Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver}"

I entered this information:
Server name: (local) (tried also (localhost) but didn't work)
Port: 3306
Database: MySql
User Name: root
Password: mypassword

Can anyone help? Is there a simply manual or set of instructions to connect basic standard MySQL DB?
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please enter local host without brackets.

Since you have the server installed on the same system, I recommend using the native interface, namely mysqlib.dll. You will need to click Options button and then [...] browse button to select the DLL. Be sure you choose the same bitness. If you run 32 bit Notepad++ then you need 32-bit version of the DLL, otherwise you need 64-bit version.

By the way, have you tried connecting from SQL Assistant SQL Editor? You already have it installed and will give you a lot more functions for working with MySQL.
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
friday13

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Please enter local host without brackets.

Since you have the server installed on the same system, I recommend using the native interface, namely mysqlib.dll. You will need to click Options button and then [...] browse button to select the DLL. Be sure you choose the same bitness. If you run 32 bit Notepad++ then you need 32-bit version of the DLL, otherwise you need 64-bit version.

By the way, have you tried connecting from SQL Assistant SQL Editor? You already have it installed and will give you a lot more functions for working with MySQL.

Thanks for helping,
I tried to find mysqlib.dll, didn't find it on my computer, but found libmysql.dll file in several locations (related to several connectors), but none of them satisfies SQL Assistant, I get:
"Connection Failed....Can't find.....libmysql.dll"
By the way, I did the same procedure on the MySQL Workbench and it worked perfectly, native interface, without defining the dll, it realized it automatically.

So, my Windows is 64 bit, my Notepad++ is 32 bit and regarding SQL editor, I don't know which bit version it is.
How do I connect SQL Assistant SQL Editor and how do I find/download the correct library file to fit ?
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you have Notepad++ 32-bit, you do need 32-bit version of libmysql.dll. Sorry for the typo I meant libmysql.dll in the first place.
I strongly feel that you cannot connect because you don't have 32-bit version of the DLL installed and you select 64-bit version, which is no good. 32-bit applications can load only 32-bit DLLs.

As for the SQL Assistant SQL Editor, you have both 32-bit and 64-bit if you have a Professional Edition license. The Standard Edition license covers only very light-version of the editor and it only comes in 32-bit version. So, if you have a Professional Edition license, right-click SQL Assistant icon in the system tray, you should see 2 versions. Please see my screenshot below

MySQL Workbench doesn't need separate selection of libmysql,dll because it includes a copy of it out of the box installed together, both are owned by Oracle, they don't need a separate selection.

You can download 32-bit MySQL client that includes 32-bit libmysql.dll here https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html
Be sure to select 32-bit from the 3rd drop-down list.

Last edited by SysOp on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
friday13

Post Reply with quote
Thanks!
That did the trick.
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Nice. Thank you for confirming!
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: