SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[13.0.56 Pro] - FR: Hotkeys for New Table dialog

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[13.0.56 Pro] - FR: Hotkeys for New Table dialog
gemisigo

Post [13.0.56 Pro] - FR: Hotkeys for New Table dialog Reply with quote
The Colums tab has a grid for adding/modifying/deleting/cloning/reordering table columns. Those functions have buttons on the grid's right side but no hotkeys. Could you add the usual defaults like INSERT, DELETE (probably CTRL+DELETE to avoid accidental deletion), CTRL+Up/Down, etc. so that this feature becomes easier and faster to use?

EDIT: Also, when typing something, eg. the column name either in the grid or in the form below, everything is extremely slow, and the form below the grid flickers with each keypress as if it updated constantly. It might be a good idea to introduce some delay so that this update occurs only after some time has elapsed from the last key press.

Furthermore, when maximizing this dialog, the contents are only resized horizontally, the grid stays the same height, and if there are many columns, only a portion of them is visible. Meanwhile, most of the screen below the form is barren.
Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:36 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. We will look into the enhancement.

My 2 cents... there are many other dialogs infused with grids. If this hotkeys for grids feature is to be supported, for consistency it should be supported everywhere. That's not a small change.
Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:28 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, consistency might be a concern here, but regarding that ship, even if it has not completely sailed already, it isn't exactly in the port either. Here's why I think this:

I've seen the same little control buttons (green plus for insert, red x for delete, gray up/dn (funny how 'dn' is just 'up' rotated 180 degrees) arrows for reordering, etc.) here and there. For example, the Options dialog is swarming with them, almost every tab there has those buttons , though those are attached to a list-like control rather than to a grid, sometimes to more than one too. Yet, these buttons have their respective hotkeys: Insert for insert, Delete for deletion with an are-you-sure dialog, or Shift+Delete for instant delete, no-questions-asked.

Another example is the result sets pane where each tab having a result set that can be uniquely linked to a single table (+ row) can have those buttons activated upon entering Edit mode. These all have their hotkeys, Occasionally even their modified versions, eg. hitting Delete in a cell will set that cell to NULL, while pressing Ctrl+Delete will delete the currently selected rows from the table in a result set tab. The button in result set pane even have their tooltips explaining what they do, though I haven't seen any of those tooltips include the hotkey.

So, you're definitely doing this already in many places, I've just happened to run into one where it isn't done.
Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: