SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[9.2.346 Pro] - List Items

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[9.2.346 Pro] - List Items
gemisigo

Post [9.2.346 Pro] - List Items Reply with quote
I've got Schemas set to Enabled after first letter match in List Items for MySQL to try to keep them out of the way:

and I experience a strange behavior affecting popups. The schema section isn't even shown in popups for SELECT until the first letter is typed. In WHERE popups it's there but is empty and it gets populated after the first letter but it is autosized to 0(?) width. Check this short video here.
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for reporting this issue. I'm going to submit a bug report for this one.

PS. I learned from your message that we support item showing after first letter for schema objects and perhaps other object types too. I heard about special handling for a gazillion of Oracle public synonyms, but didn't know it's available to other item types.
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, this one can be pretty useful when having items in the hundreds or thousands, alas, triggering it immediately on the first typed will include most of the stuff when using Name Contains Characters from Key String, Order by Best Match. Nevertheless, it's a nice touch.
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Is there a setting allowing to change after how many typed letters are items hidden by Enabled after first letter match going to be shown? I've just had to do some tasks in Oracle and having Name Matching Method set to Name Contains Characters from Key String, Order by Best Match that gazillion of Oracle public synonyms simply makes SA unusable.

After the first letter following a SELECT statement, it took ~2 minutes for the popup to update its contents and an additional 20 seconds for the second letter. Only the third one was ~1s. If Public Synonyms are not disabled only Name Starts with Key String is working at an acceptable speed. But that's not something I could go back to, I'm irreversibly stuck with Name Contains Characters from Key String, Order by Best Match. Disabling Public Synonyms in List Items... is not a very good solution either.
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
A better option might be to set it to ignore synonyms. What do you think?
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
A better option might be to set it to ignore synonyms. What do you think?

If by that you mean disabling Public Synonyms in List Items, it's what I'm doing right now. But if I understand correctly, that would result in losing assistance to the public synonyms, and as such, to all the available system views provided through them. I have a hunch that's not something to be discarded without a second thought. Though I must admit, I'm pretty new to Oracle and might not perceive the impact of it correctly.
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There are two separate items for Public Synonyms and Synonyms. Maybe you can turn off just public synonyms. On the other hand if you need to refer to a system view like ALL_TABLES you can refer directly to it as SYS.ALL_TABLES not using public synonym.
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I guess that could be a viable option. The initial load of items after hitting period after SYS took ~2 minutes as well. Though I don't think that could be avoided.
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It shouldn't take that long. It may take 10-15 seconds top. If it takes longer, it might be a sign that database stats haven't been collected recently and stale, and as a result, the server picks inefficient execution plan for the " Objects(Oracle) + Typed Synonyms" query. Or there might be a lot of stuff in the recycle bin that need purging.

Please check when stats were collected last time, you can see that in DBA_TAB_STATS_HIST

The referenced query can be tuned using hints if collecting fresh stats doesn't help.
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
This is a brand new, freshly installed instance, most of the things never done on it with stats probably not even collected yet. The Public Synonym stuff with the popup was worrying though, as it consistently took 2 mins to load, regardless of which objects or schemas were filtered. I'll check tomorrow if SYS.ALL_TABLES still performs badly, but I wouldn't bother about that otherwise.
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: