SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.194 Pro] - FR: To-Do Tasks and Reminders

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.194 Pro] - FR: To-Do Tasks and Reminders
gemisigo

Post [SA 9.0.194 Pro] - FR: To-Do Tasks and Reminders Reply with quote
Does To-Do Tasks and Reminders work on actually open files and/or current context of the active editor tab in SE?

It would also be great if the pane could be detached from the bottom and move to the side like Database Explorer so that it takes up less of the valuable editor area.
Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:12 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Does To-Do Tasks and Reminders work on actually open files and/or current context of the active editor tab in SE?

I think it targets 3 different destinations:
1. Databases that you add to its configuration
2. Folder and files that you add to its configuration

I'm not completely sure about the open tabs, but in the active editor for all To-Do, Fix-it, and similar things there are blue marks on the status bar on the rthe right side of the screen, which is kind of independent of the To-Do list.

Quote:
It would also be great if the pane could be detached from the bottom and move to the side like Database Explorer so that it takes up less of the valuable editor area.
Perhaps the window docking side can be made configurable in the future version. Per notes in the internal system, for original implementation the vertical layout was considered too narrow, in many cases there isn't enough space when normal sizing is used to show full file names and its relevant To-Do context and change times, and or show 3-part database schema object name references and the relevant object's code context with change times. That's why a horizontal layout was chosen at the time.
Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:57 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:

I'm not completely sure about the open tabs, but in the active editor for all To-Do, Fix-it, and similar things there are blue marks on the status bar on the rthe right side of the screen, which is kind of independent of the To-Do list.

Yes, that's a pretty good workaround though I had some issues with it in the past. First of all it doesn't show to-do descriptions unless you move the cursor on the blue mark. And it doesn't auto refresh unless you keep tapping Shift+F5 at regular intervals or have Automatic Syntax Checking on which can be slightly obstructive on larger scripts. I also observed that 3 secs is sometimes too long and 9 secs can be too short.

SysOp wrote:
Perhaps the window docking side can be made configurable in the future version. Per notes in the internal system, for original implementation the vertical layout was considered too narrow, in many cases there isn't enough space when normal sizing is used to show full file names and its relevant To-Do context and change times, and or show 3-part database schema object name references and the relevant object's code context with change times. That's why a horizontal layout was chosen at the time.

That's a reasonable argument and I've thought about it too. But my experience shows that it's very similar to Database Explore which also has other columns that could be observed by moving the horizontal scrollbar. Many times I'm only interested if there's a to-do at all (the blue bars are very good at indicating that) or in their descriptions/names. That's why I said it could be detached so we could get the best of both world. Provided that, naturally, making a pane detachable is not a big pain (pun definitely intended :), of which I've got absolutely no idea.
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: