SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[postgresql] Server Name on Connection selector

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[postgresql] Server Name on Connection selector
michalk

Post [postgresql] Server Name on Connection selector Reply with quote
Connection selector (window spawned while connecting to new database) contains combo box named: Server Name
It contains list of servers in format: server_address (server_alias)

Could you change the pattern to: server_alias (server_address) ?

I believe reasons are obvious but I point a few:
- alias is more human readable and easier to work with
- address might be very long causing alias to not fit into combo-box item
- while working with a lot of servers installed in particular environment, their addresses might differ too little. It causes identifying and selecting server unnecessarily difficult
- what is the point of defining connection aliases while their doesn't play main role in selecting server for connection?

thx
Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. You have a very valid point, and in fact, we do have an enhancement ticket in the project system to implement this kind of change which was submitted a while ago. The comments in the ticket indicate it's a non-trivial change, there are numerous internal code dependencies, and also because of the backward compatibility with existing configuration files where connections are stored in net/profile name (connection name) format, which requires a special upgrade process to convert them.

By the way, the connection dialog is resizable, you can make it wider to fit all aliases. Also in the Options dialog you can rename connections and give them descriptive names with spaces, for example, PG Production AWS, or MSSQL SharePoint Dev.
Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I know the connection names can be renamed. This is what I do. But it doesn't really matter since connection window call attention to connection address rather than the name.

Thank you for a tip of resizing window. I haven't had idea it might work this way. It's due to lack of special mark in bottom-right corner of the window to emphasize it's resizeable.

I don't know SA internals, so really have no idea about dependencies you mentioned. But I'm asking only for changing in presentation layer. Until connection is not identified by combination of connection name and address together, it should be a trivial task. I hope your team can manage it sooner or later.

With regards.

Last edited by michalk on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:03 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your feedback. You are absolutely correct. My 2 cents, I think the root cause of this issue is that in SQL Assistant database connections don't have real internal identifiers thus the presentation logic is somewhat inseparable from the connection identification leading to internal dependencies on the presentation format. Had there been internal connection id implemented in the very beginning (yeah, 10 years ago, it really sucks), I guess it wouldn't be an issue now.
Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:07 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: